Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kailinin

suse 9 pro

ok i got suse 9 pro (took me long enough), but before i install it i want to know if it will support my hardware. if anyone knows of any sites where i can check out what it supports i would be very grateful

How about Suse's hardware support database here.

You can also let us know what you have in terms of specs. and we will try to help.

thanks for the link here's my system specs:

amd athlon 2500+

epox nforce2 motherboard - onboard network, sound card

2x 512mb ram

40gb maxtor hdd

80gb maxtor hdd

120 seagate hdd (all 7200rpm)

geforce fx 5700 256mb

lg dvd-rom

lg 8 speed dvd writer

pci ide expansion card (this is what i think isnt supported but not sure)

Suse's web site lists support for nforce2 motherboards as "unknown." So, it is unclear if suse will install and detect the hardware, such as the onboard lan correctly. Maybe someone else has done so and can comment on this.

Just as a note, Mandrake 9.2 had some serious problems with LG CDROM drives, but the DVD drives should be fine. See

this errata

i saw the bit about the nforce boards being unknown. if it doesnt support something will it install at all?

If you are an somewhat experienced Linux user and can install the nForce chipset drivers, then you can give it a try. The reports that I have read, are that the onboard NIC does not work out of the box.

The reports also state that the onboard sound works fine in Alsa, usng the snd_810 sound module from Alsa.

If this is your main system, I would not expect the NIC and sound to work, without some tweaking. If you have another NIC that you can use, like a RealTek PCI card, you will have better results.

So, these are the considerations. The nForce chipsets seem to work better "out of the box" with Mandrake 10 and Fedora, which have the 2.6.X kernels as default and have the support built into them for these chipsets. They are newer versions of these distros, so you would expect such support.

I wish that I could give you more specifics, but my nForce box does not have any more room on it's hard drive to install Suse 9 Pro, or I would give it a try for you.

Suse 9 does have an install option for the 2.6 kernel (test version) but I have not tried that either. Since it is a test version, I would not rely on full support.

ok, i've got another nic, its a 3com 905 (something)

thats not whats giving me hassles right now, it doesnt want to install at all. but it works on my pc at work fine.

any ideas about this.

work pc p4 2.6

256mb ddr

2x 20gb hdd

52 speed lg cdrom

Hey kailinin,

Where did you get the SuSe 9 Pro? I just downloaded Suse 9.1 Personal. I was just wondering which would be better to have as Linux?

You mayw ant to see the most recent thread posted by Raist999 located here. This is a good find that you may want to take advantage of. The package includes Suse Pro 9.1!

Dapper Dan, let me know what you think. I have Suse 9.0 Pro loaded on my system. Generally pretty good. It will be interesting to see what changes have been made. Especially related to hardware detection.

Originally posted by danleff:

Quote:
You mayw ant to see the most recent thread posted by Raist999 located here. This is a good find that you may want to take advantage of. The package includes Suse Pro 9.1!

thanks for the link, ordered from novell this morning.

see one i got my iso's here