Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ByronT

Pop Up Ads from NT Compatible

I've been a loyal "reader" of NTCompatible.com since it's true NT days - back when we were really trying to get games to run under NT 4.0 workstation or NT 4.0 server. I usually check NTCompatible.com every weekday just to see what reviews might be new on the internet or for other hardware news.

That said - my visits to NTCompatible.com are going to stop. Why? These #$%@#$%#@W Pop Up Ads that somebody at NTCompatible.com has fallen in love with - just in the past month it seems. I don't mind *rewarding* a web site that I visit almost religiously with a clicked link every once in a while (as I have done for NTCompatible.com in the past), but when someone decides that I HAVE to go to some advertising site, I will and am stopping my patronage to that site.

You can go ahead and delete this user account for I will not visit NTCompatible.com or use it again.

i dont think its ntcompatible. You probably have spyware on your box, grab ad-aware and clean it. I normally use mozilla which blocks all popups as it is, but i tested ntcompatible with IE and i didnt get any popups.

Google Toolbar 2.0 and Meaya PopUp blocker.

I have them both running and only hear the popup being blocked form this site. I agree with you guys, pop-ups are annoying but if you use these apps, you'll never notice 99% of them.

Yeah, even with the new Google toolbar the pop-ups still keep coming. I have to use Firefox to keep from being attacked, and I don't like coming here myself anymore from work as I have to use IE. The newer pop-ups spin off some other process to let them run, and it's really f**cking annoying.

ok so i experimented a little and went to internet options and bumped up the slider in the privacy tab all the way and no more pop ups.

however i had to go back and set it to default to log into this forum to post this message.

will leave it on high and adjust when needed.

why are we gettin them now and never before?

Originally posted by ByronT:

Quote:
That said - my visits to NTCompatible.com are going to stop. Why? These #$%@#$%#@W Pop Up Ads that somebody at NTCompatible.com has fallen in love with - just in the past month it seems.

Sorry for the inconvenience. The only pop ups that run on this website are session based and appears every 24 hours. I am already trying to keep the real annoying ads out.

Anyway, I disabled the pop ups on the entire website for logged users now.

Originally posted by badnewz:

Quote:
why are we gettin them now and never before?

The new forums store the login information for security reasons in a cookie. The old ones used both cookies and sessions.

I was getting pop-ups from this site too. I went through nearly a dozen free pop-up blockers before I found one that I liked as well as worked. This one is great.

http://www.endpopups.com/

For me, the most annoying thing is that SpyBot tells me that "Avenue .Inc" keeps trying to download and when I tell it to politely leave my system alone, NTCompatible stops loading.

Pop-ups don't really worry me as most don't get through and Pop-up2.0 (the ones that get through) can be closed off very quickly.

Originally posted by felix:

Quote:
For me, the most annoying thing is that SpyBot tells me that "Avenue .Inc" keeps trying to download and when I tell it to politely leave my system alone, NTCompatible stops loading.

I did a search on "Avenue .Inc". This is a tracking cookie and not a program.

Most likely one of the ad servers is using this to store the time between visits. This is usual because there are session based ads, which will be displayed only every couple of hours.

I can understand what the purpose of the thing is for.

What annoys me is that when I block the download, this entire site basically shuts down.

Is there a possible way for this to be overcome? With so many people running spy-ware blockers these days, readership of this site may take a tumble and that would be a bad thing because the people who use this site know their business and have solutions.

Originally posted by felix:

Quote:
I can understand what the purpose of the thing is for.

What annoys me is that when I block the download, this entire site basically shuts down.

This seems like an issue with SpyBot and not with this site. From MajorGeeks:

Quote:
Editor's Note: The Resident shield in version 1.3 has an issue allowing certain cookies (Specifically Double Click)when set to notify. If page loading becomes a problem, right click the icon in the Systray, select “Resident IE” and either uncheck “Use Resident in IE sessions” or check "Block all bad pages silently".

Thanks for that Phillip.

I'll give the "block all silently" a go.

the new layout of the site is confusing and not really efficient. Just to add to the frustration of using the new layout of the forum is the annoying ads loading all over screen while i'm typing. these ads change active window while i'm typing and i have to keep using my mouse every 20~30 Sec. or so to select this window again. this is just terrible.

This may cost NTcompatible Forums it's most valuable members, attracted to many other similar forums, that lack this problem.

I have used this forum from several computers and even with systems with new installations of windows so this is not a spyware porblem with the system. Howewr i have not seen any popups from the site yet, just that annoying change of Active Window.

Originally posted by ali:

Quote:
annoying ads loading all over screen while i'm typing. these ads change active window while i'm typing and i have to keep using my mouse every 20~30 Sec. or so to select this window again. this is just terrible.

I removed now all ads from the post pages.

Just a quick update: Maybe some of you already noticed over the last few days that the popups are gone. NT Compatible is now fully popup free again.