Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bernard

cdrecord error message using HP usb cdwriter 8200 with RH7.2

Hi !

As already stated in my former thread, my cdwriter is now being reckognised and I can mount it for reading on scd0. However, I can't write anything. cdrecord -scanbus says :

[root@localhost bin]# cdrecord -scanbus

Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright © 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling

Linux sg driver version: 3.1.19

Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'

scsibus0:

0,0,0 0) 'HP ' 'CD-Writer+ 8200 ' '1.0f' Removable CD-ROM

0,1,0 1) *

0,2,0 2) *

0,3,0 3) *

0,4,0 4) *

0,5,0 5) *

0,6,0 6) *

0,7,0 7) *

/proc/scsi/scsi says the same.

I have madeup an image file, using mkisofs as shown in the man file. No errors doing so ; the file is about 45 mB , it contains a whole directory, I made it using the arguments -r -J.

After introducing a new recordable disc in the cdwriter drawer, I typed:

cdrecord -v -dummy speed=2 dev=0,0,0 -data tempo.raw

and the process started nicely up to the end. Then I got the following messages:

Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright © 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling

TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM

scsidev: '0,0,0'

scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0

Linux sg driver version: 3.1.19

Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'

atapi: 1

Device type : Removable CD-ROM

Version : 2

Response Format: 1

Vendor_info : 'HP '

Identifikation : 'CD-Writer+ 8200 '

Revision : '1.0f'

Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.

Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).

Driver flags : SWABAUDIO

Drive buf size : 2086656 = 2037 KB

FIFO size : 4194304 = 4096 KB

Track 01: data 43 MB

Total size: 50 MB (04:57.93) = 22345 sectors

Lout start: 50 MB (04:59/70) = 22345 sectors

Current Secsize: 2048

ATIP info from disk:

Indicated writing power: 5

Is not unrestricted

Is not erasable

Disk sub type: Medium Type B, low Beta category (B-) (4)

ATIP start of lead in: -11834 (97:24/16)

ATIP start of lead out: 359849 (79:59/74)

Disk type: Short strategy type (Phthalocyanine or similar)

Manuf. index: 24

Manufacturer: SONY Corporation

Blocks total: 359849 Blocks current: 359849 Blocks remaining: 337504

Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 2 in dummy mode for single session.

Last chance to quit, starting dummy write in 1 seconds.

Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.

Starting new track at sector: 0

Track 01: 43 of 43 MB written (fifo 100%).

Track 01: Total bytes read/written: 45758464/45758464 (22343 sectors).

Writing time: 153.766s

Fixating...

WARNING: Some drives don't like fixation in dummy mode.

Fixating time: 0.151s

cdrecord: Input/output error. mode select g1: scsi sendcmd: retryable error

CDB: 55 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 10 00

Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 26 00 00 80

Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0

Sense Code: 0x26 Qual 0x00 (invalid field in parameter list) Fru 0x0

Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid) error refers to data part, bit ptr 0 (not valid) field ptr 0

cmd finished after 0.022s timeout 40s

cdrecord: fifo had 721 puts and 721 gets.

cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 655 times full, min fill was 96%.

[root@localhost bin]#

I have made another trial without the -dummy ; error result was the same, except that the writing process did quit right at the beginning or just about so.

As one can imagine, I have retried this several times. I think I have seen once something about problem in power calibrating, but it may be one of those lines that have erased and that I therefore cannot copy here.

Here is the content of my dmesg file, for the part that concerns my cdwriter::

usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs

usb.c: registered new driver hub

usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.259 $ time 17:36:49 Sep 6 2001

usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled

PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:07.2

usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x8400, IRQ 11

usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports

usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1

hub.c: USB hub found

hub.c: 2 ports detected

usb-uhci.c: v1.251:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver

hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 2

usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x3f0/0x107) is not claimed by any active driver.

SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00

Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...

usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage

scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices

Vendor: HP Model: CD-Writer+ 8200 Rev: 1.0f

Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02

WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured

USB Mass Storage device found at 2

USB Mass Storage support registered.

EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.8, 25 Aug 2001 on ide0(3,3), internal journal

and the last messages in /var/log/messages:

May 28 18:47:15 localhost kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 3

May 28 18:47:27 localhost su(pam_unix)[1532]: session opened for user root by bd(uid=500)

May 28 18:47:39 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-97

May 28 18:47:39 localhost last message repeated 3 times

May 28 18:59:14 localhost kernel: usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 3, frame# 888

May 28 18:59:14 localhost kernel: usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 3, frame# 890

May 28 19:01:48 localhost kernel: usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 3, frame# 1094

May 28 19:01:48 localhost kernel: usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 3, frame# 1096

Thanks in advance for any hint about what to do next...

Bernard

I'll take a stab in the dark.

It looks like cdrecord does not like the media.

What exact media and size (72 min vs. 80 min.) are you using?

It looks like cdr media, but rated at 2X for this writer?

It also looks like the media write has been writing to the cdr with an error. The media is fixated and can't be written to again...

So, you run the risk of wasting cdr media? If the dummy write does not work, then don't remove this option, until cdrecord finishes without errors.

Make sure that you use a fresh cdr media that has not been used before and that it is rated for this writer.

Originally posted by danleff:

Quote:
I'll take a stab in the dark.

It looks like cdrecord does not like the media.

What exact media and size (72 min vs. 80 min.) are you using?

It looks like cdr media, but rated at 2X for this writer?

It also looks like the media write has been writing to the cdr with an error. The media is fixated and can't be written to again...

So, you run the risk of wasting cdr media? If the dummy write does not work, then don't remove this option, until cdrecord finishes without errors.

Make sure that you use a fresh cdr media that has not been used before and that it is rated for this writer.

There it is ! It now WORKS OK... but not with the HP cdwriter 8200. Must have been faulty. After many more trials, I jumped to my car and went buying a ASUS CRW 5224A external usb cdwriter. I made arrangements with the shop keeper so that I could return it in case it was not linux compatible. The test lasted no more than five minutes, using whatever command lines I had used with the used HP device ; it went the same way, except that there were no error messages ! I wrote a cd that I was able to read afterward... I hope I can get my money back for the used out of order HP 8200 that I will return. I am going to fill information in the linuxcompatible database so that the ASUS CRW 5224A usb is known as compatible.

Thanks for you help. As I do more many trials and cdwriting, I will tell if I encounter any problem in doing more complicate tasks.

Bernard

There's probably nothing wrong with the cd burner except that it's an HP.

For about a 4 or 5 year period HP was deeply involved with what they percieved as the dominant OS.As a result,firmware was designed specificaly for Windows.The firmware and drivers became "propriatary"(probably ain't spelled right) which means that although it can be modified,it is illegal to do so.

At the beginning of that period,many linux users still considered themselves "elite" and wanted to maintain that status.Anyone inquiring about linux on those "elite" sites would be snubbed and often outright insulted unless they appeared to have knowledge of the terminology used by the linux community.

Then the unexpected happened.Some people with a combination of intellegence , common sence,willingness to help others and the knowledge that ignorance is not stupidity, became interested in linux and had the audacity, patience and perserverance to overcome the snide remarks and insults and become very knowledgable in linux.

Many of those people are now giving thier time on sites like this one to help people like us .Those are people like Danleff,Dapper Dan,The administrators of this site and many others to whom I would like to to extend a sincere thank you for the great help. Also,to jimf43,I sincerely apoligize for the way I misstyped your username,it was not intentional.I noticed it when browsing yesterday and realized it could be construed as derogatory.

Due ,in large part,to users on these sites,HP,along with other hardware and software companies,suddenly woke up,looked around and realized "Hey ,there is an alternative OS out there and it appears to be more stable and reliable than the present dominant OS !"

Recent HP hardware is linux compatible but as one who uses HP hardware,I suggest, before buying used HP hardware,check linux sites for compatility issues and fixes.

Thanks Mel. I also have problems with that word proprietary!

I would assume that you are correct. I have one of those HP external drives lying around and will try it also. The HP driver for this model series is available in the 2.4 kernel, at least in the 2.4 series - I wonder if it is enabled in most basic stock kernels, or a re-compile is needed in most cases (íf it is not generally enabled by default). I going to check on of my installs and see what´s up.

P.S. Yep, it is in the stock Mandrake 10 CE kernel, listed as ¨hp cd-writer 82XX support (experimental)¨ under USB support. Looks like the usb-storage module needs to be loaded, as well as the HP support. Not enabled by default!

All the recent kernals will support HP hardware but although

all the distros claim to support HP hardware,Mandrake10 is the

only distro I found that will properly set up HP stuff with

system configuration GUI.The other distros require manual

configuration of dependancies and kernal entries.

At the risk of revealing my age,I will say,the last time I actually did any programming was way back when,to get anything really useful,I had to use a combination of CPM,Basic and ML with a lot of gosubs and calls.(That's a few years.)I think c was just coming out.

I assume there are a lot of good programmers around now who never heard of CPM or gosub.

My last post is the impression I got from replies from HP while trying to get this hardware to work.

BTW,last time I tried, kernal 2.4 ,which I use now, seems stable, 2.6 tends to take side trips into never-never land.Also 2.4 handles 3rd party stuff OK while 2.6 has problems.

Hi Mel, Danleff and everyone else who took part in this thread !

I didn't say that there was anything wrong with HP cdwriter 8200 as far as comptatibility with Linux... I only said that it was most likely something wrong with MY HP cdwriter. As previously said, it was a used unit, and the power module was added on, the original one having likely given up. I found that it was fed on 12V DC only, while the scheme said that it should have been fed in 12V and 5V DC. I had gotten a positive test with that writer in MSWIN on my office PC, not on my laptop. In Linux, it was not even being reckognized. I therefore suspected that, on my office PC, part of the power was fed from the PC unit, through the usb cable, and that, using my laptop, there was not enough power. So, I got an old PC-AT power module, and adapted it to feed the missing 5V for my burner. Then, the writer got to be recognized under Linux. I could mount it, read CD... and even write CDs, except that I always got errors, so the discs were unusable. Furthermore, I noticed that CDs got to turn at variable speeds, increasing and decreasing back and forth. That is when I got the idea to test another apparatus, the ASUS I spoke of, and everything got allright, I got constant speed for cd spinning, and no errors in writing.

I have no doubt that, had I tested a brand new HP cdwriter, or an used one in a good shape, I would have most likely worked...

May I ask one more Out of Topic question ? I have played around a bit with cdrecord and mkisofs, but I did not find any possibility for checking a burnt CD against an iso file, as I used to do with xcdroast on an older PC, equiped with RH 6.0 and an SCSI TEAC burner. Since I don't intend to install xcdroast on my Thinkpad (I try to save as much disk space as possible), I'd like to know how to do without.

Originally posted by Mel:

Quote:
All the recent kernals will support HP hardware but although

all the distros claim to support HP hardware,Mandrake10 is the

only distro I found that will properly set up HP stuff with

system configuration GUI.The other distros require manual

configuration of dependancies and kernal entries.

At the risk of revealing my age,I will say,the last time I actually did any programming was way back when,to get anything really useful,I had to use a combination of CPM,Basic and ML with a lot of gosubs and calls.(That's a few years.)I think c was just coming out.

I assume there are a lot of good programmers around now who never heard of CPM or gosub.

My last post is the impression I got from replies from HP while trying to get this hardware to work.

BTW,last time I tried, kernal 2.4 ,which I use now, seems stable, 2.6 tends to take side trips into never-never land.Also 2.4 handles 3rd party stuff OK while 2.6 has problems.

Thanks,Bernard

You just helped me much more than I could have possibly

helped you.Explaining how you checked that drive solved a

problem I had with a little project.I had forgotten that

some relatively recent power supplies have a 3.5 volt output.

On checking I found I was connecting 3.5V where I needed 5.

Thanks again.