Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
niczar

sysdrv system cannot find the file specified

i bout a new optorite cd-burner and tried to install it as secondary master (i have one 120GB primary master and a 52X as secondary slave on an Athlon 1400 system with 256MB ram). and ever since then my computer never stays on for more then 10 minutes.it reboots itself. i disconnected all the drives except the hard drive but still nothing, it still reboots. i tried last good known option, still nothing.

in the event viewer it gives this error:

Event ID - 7000

Source - Service Control Manager

Description - sysdrv system cannot find the file specified. could anyone PLS PLS PLS help me out. As nature has it i have a project to work on frown. THANX A MILLIONS to all those who do.

I am getting the very same error code on a W2K Server Quad Xeon box - no changes in hardware at all, just started to appear - same event ID number as well!

niczar - you may be experiencing this problem because that drive is not supported under XP but only for W98, NT, and W2k. It may have installed a device driver that is incompatible with XP.

gchq - this is what Microsoft says about your error:

CAUSE

These error messages may occur if you move the "Documents and Settings" folder to a location that is not immediately accessible when the computer starts. For example, the error messages may occur if you move the "Documents and Settings" folder to a volume mount point for a large volume set. When this issue occurs, services that are configured to run under a specific user account may not start.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this issue, move the service account's profile back to the system disk.

you can read the full article here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315194

[Edited by Sampson on 2004-07-09 09:13:57]

Sampson

Thanks for that - but still seems a mystery as the Documents and Setting directory has not been moved from the default since installation!

Is your system now working? or is it not? Are you asking now that it works, how did this happen? There can be various reasons how this can happen - 1) an attempt was made to repair an installation, but rather than repair, it created a second instance. 2) someone attempted to gain admininistrator privileges and botched it, 3) a "hijack" occured through a trojan/worm to gain access to passwords and set in place its own administrator's profile.

Those are a few I can think of.

Quote:
Is your system now working? or is it not? Are you asking now that it works, how did this happen? There can be various reasons how this can happen - 1) an attempt was made to repair an installation, but rather than repair, it created a second instance. 2) someone attempted to gain admininistrator privileges and botched it, 3) a "hijack" occured through a trojan/worm to gain access to passwords and set in place its own administrator's profile.
Those are a few I can think of.

It comes up with that error every time it is started - seems to be looking for file(s) for the System Log Service. I must confess I have just put up with it and let it run as nothing actually seems to have been effected! No attempts have been made at a repair, as with any W2K server on the net people constantly try to gain access, par for the course now and I monitor for possible trojans/worms with Port Explorer and Process Explorer!

Further on down the rabbit hole.....

I thought I might have tracked the problem to :-

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_AGOBOT.ZJ

But not so!

No entries in the registry! However in services I DID find an entry under "System Log Service" and a path to system32 looking for svsys.exe - this file doesn't exist - but the actual system log is working fine and quite happily reporting that it isn't starting up! For now I have disabled this at startup!