Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
valorbu

Iexplorer consuming huge amounts of Virtual Memory!!! System slows to a crawl

Help guys ! Iexplorer.exe slowly but surely starts to consume more and more virtual memory(VM) till about 160MB !! It happens especially when I am playing internet radio. It started happening quite recently. I have not install any new software and have just ran a virus check on my PC and it had Sasser worm infected but it has been cleaned. I am using McAfee and have already updated to the latest virus definition. I am using Windows XP SP1. explorer.exe also builds up to quite an unusual amount of usage of VM around 50-60MB. I usually get an error that VM is really low and some applications might not work properly and the system will slow down to a crawl. Then with Ctrl+Alt+Del I will stop the processes that are taking up all the memory and start fresh iexplorers and it would be fine for a some time before the memory build up happens again. Is it because IE6 is corrupted ? I have installed all the latest critical patches from Microsoft. Please advice !

Thanks for your reply. I am using windows media player 9 to play it. It's through msn certified sites. Using the internet radio thing accelerates the build up but even without using it just normal surfing after about 30 mins or so I will get the same problem.

A couple of notes on this one:

1) How much physical ram is installed in the machine, 256MB ?!? If so this is way too little for most things anymore, I would bumpt it up to 512MB at least. I personally run 1GB in all my machines and the ones I setup for my family and friends too.

2) I usually set the pagefile size to either twice your physical ram or a static size if you have 1GB of ram installed. Basically I make the pagefile the same min/max sizes.

See if this helps or makes any difference or not. You can change the pagefile size right now without having to purchase and install anymore memory.

i got same issue

curently at 94meg frown

any time my puter runs slugish i kill explorer task and it fine for a while

if i disable swapfile alltogether, taskmanager still has a value in 'VM size'

mabe its a conflict with installed softwere permintly runing

i normaly have norton, emule and icq perm runing, what you got

or another thought is its trying to start one of the many SERVICE i have disabled

Hi, I have the same problem, iexplorer consumes all the memory and this causes the computer to start swapping which causes huge CPU usage.

Can you tell me if any of you solved this problem and especially how? I run al kind of virus scanners, but my system is clean.

I have also 1 GB of physical memory in my computer as well.

Can somebody please help me?

thanks in advance, Daniel

If your computer is running low on virtual memory you will receive a notification along the lines of "System is low on virtual memory. Windows is raising the size of the virtual memory file paging." You will need to improve the size of your virtual memory so that your computer doesn't become overloaded.

When a page fault occurs, your computer's operating systems loads that faulted page into the memory's page frame. Eventually all of the page frames will be taken and the computer must replace each of the faulted pages.