Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jimmy5k

this is probably basic

Hi, i need help. i've just started with linux and i'm having a few woes. I'm using slackware linux 9.1 and its my secondary OS in a dual boot with XP Pro. (i know, windows is evil, but its necessary)

anyway, i got three worries

1) how am i supposed to make a boot disk when it says its over 1.44Mb?

2) how do i tell if a device (such as a SCSI card) is picked up by the OS?

3) what does it mean when people tell me to try "recompile the kernel"?

I guess i jumped in at the deep end. Eventually i hope to create a dos(or "XP") menu option to boot into linux like in boot.ini from windows.

In my 2 years as a Linux user, I've never re-compiled a kernel nor at this point do I ever see the need to. You may want to look into kernel re-compiling at some point, but it is entirely unnecessary for you to do so at this stage.

Slackware is a great distro but I'm not sure I would have chosen it for my first choice. For a new user, Slack can be very frustrating. You may want to consider running a more new user friendly distro like Fedora Core 1 or Mandrake.

Once you install your Linux along with XP, you'll be given a choice to install boot loaders Grub or Lilo, making booting between the two effortless, negating the need for a boot floppy. Still, create a boot floppy during the final stages of an install in case the Linux boot loader doesn't get installed correctly. The install will give you the choice to make one. Also, make an XP boot floppy before installing anything new.

ah. well, a few buddies just told me i should. thats all, but i still got issues, i posted the scsi issue in a new thread. as it is, i'm still trying to find a 32bit version of loadlin

anyone got any ideas?