Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
moley

Via S3G integrated card not supported by Age Of Mythology

I am a complete newbie and have an AMD ATHLONE

XP 1900+ MMX,3DNOW~1.6GHZ

Direct X9>0b(4.09.0000.0902)

I have age of Mythology and it says my graphics card is not supported although it doesnt appear in the unsupported list,

It installed O.K. but wont run.

Display. Via/S3G KM400/KN400

Manufacturor S3Graphics inc

CHIP S3gKM400/KN400

Mem.32.0 MB

Drivers vtdisp.dll

Version 6.14.0010.0035

Date 07/06/2003

(NOW UPDATED TO 04/19/04) latest driver.

DOI 9 or higher

Drivers cmunda. syst

Version 5.120001.0032

C Media inc.

Mother board ASROCK K7VM4

DXDIAG reports no probs.D>draw and D.Acceleration are enabled.

Reducing hardware acceleration doesnt fix it.

Micro soft havent been able to help so far but I did find some possible answers on another forum. Far too technical for a newbie to understand or know if they applied to my system.

Does anyone have a step by step solution or do I just have to buy a New card ( which I would need installed for me)

Hope I can avoid the expense!!Dont even know If I will like the game!

From the looks of it, that card probably isn't supported just being an S3 chip. If AoM is barfing on the S3, don't think it's the only title to do it. Probably the cheapest you'll find that will work well enough (not great) would be either a Radeon 7000 or GeForce 4 MX440. I've been able to find these online for under $40.

I too recommend ditching the onboard S3 graphics, your performance with even a low end Radeon/GeForce will actully improve a bit because it's not an integrated graphics solution wink

I've used and sold many boards with this particular onboard graphics solution, but only to corporate clients who only need a display and nothing more.

Jimmijo and Brian, Thanks for bothering to reply. This is my first computor and I wasnt interested in gaming when I got it.I know my motherboard is capable of being upgraded a bit as they said I would probably want that later and it would be cheaper to allow for that at purchase point not have to change it completely in a month or two. (THeyre right) I prob wont ever be a serious gamer but if the bug bites.....?

Will take your advice as I know enough to know a state of the art card will be a waste of money at the moment with my basic system. smile

hii, moley. dude i have exactly the same problem that u are havin i have the same ausus board and the same problem with the age of mythology, not running saying non accepted video card.

U said that, u got a solution but that was a lot technical 4 u, now i would like u to give me those what information u have for i m a dell technician, may be i will be able to resolve the issue and make it simpler 4 u , so that we both will be saved from buying an expensive video card, wating for reply.....

sam

hii

do any body have any answer to this pls reply, 4 m planning to buy a graphics card at last , may wait 4 another 1 week.

tech guys dosnt let me down

hii

do any body have any answer to this pls reply, 4 m planning to buy a graphics card at last , may wait 4 another 1 week.

tech guys dosnt let me down 8)

Hi,

This was the message given by my system when i tried to play AOM

This graphics card is not supported by age of mythology

"Video Card 0: vtdisp.dll VIA/S3G KM400/KN400 Vendor(0x1106) Device(0x7205)"

My system & display device info is as follows,

------------------

System Information

------------------

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195) Service Pack 2

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: ASUS

System Model: A7V266-MX

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2100+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1726MHz

Memory: 224MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0881)

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: VIA/S3G KM400/KN400

Manufacturer: VIA/S3 Graphics, Inc.

Chip type: S3G KM400/KN400

DAC type: Internal

Device ID: Enum\PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_7205&SUBSYS_80ED1043&REV_01

Display Memory: 32.0 MB

Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor

Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200

Driver Name: vtdisp.dll

Driver Version: 6.14.10.0063 (English)

DDI Version: 8 (or higher)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 9/25/2003 08:40:54, 1875200 bytes

I used the information in the error message and did the following and got a good result. I played the whole day without crashing.

1. I went to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\gfxconfig and opened 0x1039_sis.gfx with notepad and saved as 0x1106_via.gfx.

2. I changed the following information in it and saved it

Vendor=VIA

defaultdevice=via1106.gfx

[device]

0x7205=VIA/S3G KM400/KN400,via1106.gfx

3. I opened sis315.gfx in the same folder and saved it as via1106.gfx.

Thanks for VIA Arena Forums

T.ThomasRaj

would like to know also. I downloaded the New Zoo Tycoon 2 Trial Version from Microsoft and i have a VIA/S3g card which it doesn't support, and wasn't on the list of nots. Any solutions.

Natalie

Originally posted by natkkaule:

Quote:
would like to know also. I downloaded the New Zoo Tycoon 2 Trial Version from Microsoft and i have a VIA/S3g card which it doesn't support, and wasn't on the list of nots. Any solutions.

Natalie

You could try installing the latest device drivers by going to HERE and choosing the correct driver package for you inegrated graphics chipset and I would also make sure you have DirectX 9.0c and the VIA 4-in-1 driver package too.

If this doesn't resolve the issue then I would recommend getting an entry level graphics card and installing that into the motherboard's AGP slot, since most of these boards do have an AGP 4x/8x slot.

One thing you can find are some pretty cheap entry level cards, like the Geforce 4-MX 440 or the latest replacement for it, the MX4000. Also Radeon 7500/8500 are pretty darn cheap too along with the 9200/9500 cards...

I got AOM to play on a A7V8X-MX-UAY with the VIA Unichrome built-in graphics. I added these to the gfxconfig folder in AOM's folders:

0x5333_s3.gfx dated 29/08/2002 copied and renamed to two items:

0x1106_s3g.gfx

0x7205_s3g.gfx

savage4.gfx copied and renamed to:

ViaS3G.gfx

can anyone help me? i have via ps3 prosaveddr integrated gpu and am having problems running Age of Mythology. I have been able to play the demo but the full game doesn't run. Everytime i start it i get a message "Initiliazation Failed". I have been able to run the game on my computer b4 but now for some reason it doesn't work. please help! thankx

can anyone help me?

i have VIA/S3G KM400/KN400 onboard graphics card. i would like to use my nvidia geforce 4 graphics card but when i insert it to the graphics slot and turn my pc on the 2 graphics cards conflict and my screen turns off when windows begins to load.

please help cos this s3 card is not good. thanks

Originally Posted By: thomasraj_t
Hi,
This was the message given by my system when i tried to play AOM

This graphics card is not supported by age of mythology

"Video Card 0: vtdisp.dll VIA/S3G KM400/KN400 Vendor(0x1106) Device(0x7205)"

My system & display device info is as follows,

------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195) Service Pack 2
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUS
System Model: A7V266-MX
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2100+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1726MHz
Memory: 224MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0881)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: VIA/S3G KM400/KN400
Manufacturer: VIA/S3 Graphics, Inc.
Chip type: S3G KM400/KN400
DAC type: Internal
Device ID: Enum\PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_7205&SUBSYS_80ED1043&REV_01
Display Memory: 32.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: vtdisp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.10.0063 (English)
DDI Version: 8 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 9/25/2003 08:40:54, 1875200 bytes

I used the information in the error message and did the following and got a good result. I played the whole day without crashing.

1. I went to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\gfxconfig and opened 0x1039_sis.gfx with notepad and saved as 0x1106_via.gfx.

2. I changed the following information in it and saved it

Vendor=VIA
defaultdevice=via1106.gfx
[device]
0x7205=VIA/S3G KM400/KN400,via1106.gfx

3. I opened sis315.gfx in the same folder and saved it as via1106.gfx.

Thanks for VIA Arena Forums

T.ThomasRaj

Oh my goodness!!!!! Thank you so much for this reply!! It saved my life!! ...AND my money! Ha ha grin This is SO useful! I would have died without it! I got an account on these forums JUST to thank you for this. Now I can FINALLY play my Age of Mythology game I bought like a year ago! Thank you again! smile

--wad11656