Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
halian

AOC LCD "Input Not Supported" - Newbie

Hi

I recently bought an AOC LM720A LCD. I run Win98SE, Win2K and Suse 8 on my machine (apologies for all the WinX stuff). All works fine - except when I boot Linux. Then I get a message box "Input Not Supported" which slowly moves around the screen.

I can however see most of the screen (KDE) - I logged in and changed the resolution to 1280 x 1024 - which improved the look of the display (screen display now looks great) - however I STILL get the damn message stepping all over the screen.

Do I need a driver? Perhaps I need to change a setting? Is it a graphics card/driver issue (oldish GeForce)?

Help!

Halian

Try 1024 X 768 at 70 hz and see what happens. Also look at the vertical and horizontal refresh rates, which should be;

Horizontal: 30K~80KHz, Vertical: 55~75Hz.

Finally look at colors and try 16 rather than 24 bit.

Recommended Resolution is 1280x1024@60Hz

These LCD monitors don't require (or tolerate) the high frequencys that you need with a conventional monitor. Don't continue to run it at a high frequency!

Okay - I think (!) I can manage that - I have set the resolution correctly (i.e. 1280 x 1024) - and that looks fine - however I do think that the vsync/hsync settings are possibly the problem.

Thanks for now.

Be nice if you told us what the resolution of your problem turned out to be ;-)?

Very happy to tell you how things went - just hadn't been able to "play" with things up until now. 1280X1024 @ 64hz fixes the problem (can't choose lower refresh with things as they are now).

However small problem still (isn't there always one) I use SUSE 8.2 and KDE - the initial login screen still causes the problem (it's being run at a different resolution and referesh rate) to that I can set when I login - when I login I can set screen values as indicated above - that clears the "Input Not Supported" box nicely. However - if I go back to the login screen the problem remains.

So - I guess - there must be a default screen resolution/refresh rate setting for (and I don't enought of what I'm talking about yet) either X (XFree86 etc., or the window manager/KDE). That's my next task...

Thanks for the help - I will post again when I have definitively "fixed" the problem.

Halian

Hi

The final solution to my problem - which I am sure many Linux users will perpaps find obvious was :-

Determine the XFree86 config file via the /var/log/X* file.

I edited this and found, no surprise, a monitor section for my prevous (CRT) monitor.

I rebooted - and at GRUB entered 3, booting non-graphical (I presume run level 3?)

I then logged in as root and ran sax2. This whirred for 30 seconds and then was done. Examination of the X config file showed values now present for the AOC. Rebooted and all was fine.

Thanks for help and suggestions.

Halian