Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shadowmatrix

linux partitioning

I need to steal some more space from my windows XP partition, Can I do this from with in linux? I tryed to use partition magic in windows but ever since I installed Linux, Partition magic has had issues with the hard disk. Anyway, I hope I can do this from with in linux so if anyone can help please let me know.

There will always be a risk of data loss anytime you try to resize partitions. Having said that, QTparted is preety good.

Do you by chance have Mandrake 10 installed? This happened to me as well. Qtparted also failed, due to the way that Mandrake formatted the partition during it's install.

If you have NTFS for your Windows XP install, you must use PartitionMagic, not Qtparted. Trust me on this.

Qtparted also has some dependencies that may make it hard to install, depending on your distro.

I had to remove Mandrake (PatrtitionMagic was then able to read the drive without errors), re-partition the affected partition(s) with PartitionMagic, then tell Mandrake to use the already existing partition.

Let us know what your current situation is in more detail, before proceding.

Originally posted by danleff:

Quote:
Do If you have NTFS for your Windows XP install, you must use PartitionMagic, not Qtparted. Trust me on this.

Agree. 'Never' use a linux utility on a bootable nt/w2k/xp volume. Probibility of corruption is almost certain. Additionaly, Some recent Linux utilitys have been demonstrating extreme incompatibility with Partition Magic 8.

Yes I am using Mandrake 10. Well, Data loss is pretty unacceptable at this point. I want to dump the whole hard drive to Linux but the wife likes to play a few games, mainly need for speed underground and therefor cannot get rid of windows just yet frown I guess I will just leave it alone for now. Hopefully gaming support will become a strong point in Linux in the future. Thankyou for everyones input on this smile