Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iamroot

how to do a clean up of hard disk?

I ve been experiencing a helluva problems with my com and i suspect its because of my hard disk corrupted. Does anybody know how i can totally clean up my hard disk to its original state or any software that might do this?

It depends on what you mean by it's "original state." Do you mean wipe the hard drive and start over, or repair Windows and/or Linux?

If you want to wipe the disk and start over, sure. Each hard drive company has a utility to do this for their respective drives. But, be careful. If you have a system that came with everything pre-loaded, or a Compaq/HP system, it's best to use the recovery disks, since there may be bios/system information written to the hard drive in a hidden partition.

The other question is, what are the symptoms that you are having, before you take such a drastic step, if this is what you want to do?

I intend to wipeover and start again. Because i reinstall windows xp rather often and i just delete the partitions using the win xp install disc and i have heard that this causes fragments of windows files to be left over. Can u pls tell me where i can find the utility to wipe my hard disc? I'm using a Maxtor hard drive. I went to the maxtor web-site but couldn't find anything.