Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dapper Dan

Back to Mozilla

After using Galeon, Firebird/Firefox and Epiphany in that order for a little over a year, I am now back to using Mozilla.

Of all of these, I liked Galeon the best when I was using Mandrake 9 and RedHat 9, but it doesn't come with Fedora Core 1, and it has proved to be so difficult to install that I finally gave up trying.

Firefox is pretty smoking in many ways, but it irritates me in that I often like more than one instance of my browser open, and Firebird begs for profiles for different users. Consequently you cannot use the same bookmarks with each instance. Is there a way to disable this feature? Firefox also seems to have problems copying addresses from one instance and pasting them into another.

Epiphany crashes about as often as Galeon used to, and seems to be a sort of thrown together version, or a poor attempt at copying Galeon. I tried very hard to get the Realplayer plugin to work with Epiphany, but never could. I also wish you didn't have to go up top and choose "Edit" to do your pasting. Right click and paste suits me much better.

The best about each? Galeon hardly ever let a pop up bother me and is very fast. Firefox is fast and has a lot of good features, but again that profile deal makes it all not worth it. Epiphany is pretty quick and the fonts look pretty good.

All of these complaints may be small, but over time they added up. Mozilla on the other hand, gives me none of these irritations. It may be a little slower, but I'm now believing it's worth waiting a second or two more to enjoy a full featured and easy to use Linux Browser! smile

Originally posted by Dapper Dan:

Quote:

Firefox is pretty smoking in many ways, but it irritates me in that I often like more than one instance of my browser open, and Firebird begs for profiles for different users. Consequently you cannot use the same bookmarks with each instance. Is there a way to disable this feature? Firefox also seems to have problems copying addresses from one instance and pasting them into another.

That's because firefox is made to operate as a tabbed browser. With the Tabbed extentions it acts almost exactly like Opera. If you insist on using seperate windows then I doubt you'd ever be happy with it. On the other hand, given the choice between tabbed & seperate window browsing... I can't imagine why you'd want all those windows. Shades of M$ IE ;-).

Originally posted by jimf43:

Quote:
I can't imagine why you'd want all those windows. Shades of M$ IE ;-).

Boy Jim, that one really hurt!;(

wink

Originally posted by Dapper Dan:

Quote:

That's because firefox is made to operate as a tabbed browser. With the Tabbed extentions it acts almost exactly like Opera. If you insist on using seperate windows then I doubt you'd ever be happy with it. On the other hand, given the choice between tabbed & seperate window browsing... I can't imagine why you'd want all those windows. Shades of M$ IE ;-).

Quote:

Boy Jim, that one really hurt!;(

wink

Thought that would get your attention wink.

Seriously, IE is the only major player who insists on staying with the multiple window paragram. Everyone else 'at least' gives you the choice. Additionally, IMO seperate windows are a much more confusing and certainly less organized way of browsing. That said, You're certainly entitled to choose your own 'method' of confusion smile.

I often find myself needing two instances side by side to research one link while posting on another. It hasn't confused me yet.. wink

As far as confusion goes, it appears as though that's just what happened while I was trying to edit my last post after posting then editing! I sure wish there was a way to edit BEFORE posting.

I don't understand why you can't ask for a new window in firefox?

Works here. I can choose new (tab) page or new window.

Yes, I agree it's very annoying that one doesn't have a preview. Any other forum I've seen has that feature. frown

Originally posted by jimf43:

Quote:
I don't understand why you can't ask for a new window in firefox?

Works here. I can choose new (tab) page or new window.

Yes, I agree it's very annoying that one doesn't have a preview. Any other forum I've seen has that feature. frown

I generally use the tab feature in Mozilla, Netscape, Firefox, and Opera. I seldom put up two or more windows unless a Web page specifically asks to do so. Most of the time, I block popup pages, too. I also use Mozilla rather than Firefox as my main browser, but my reasons differ slightly. To me, Mozilla is still a bit more complete and a bit more stable. Firefox handles pure browsing just fine. However, I do a lot of switching between browsing and Email, and the integration between Firefox and Thunderbird is not yet all that it can and ought to be. So while I like the pace at which Firefox and Thunderbird are improving, I still have to stick with Mozilla for every day use.

About the profile issue, I'm having trouble with that also. FeatherLinux. I have to create a profile everytime I use Firefox. I don't know the run command as Feather has no right click on icon to find run command or permissions. I put my name in instead of default user and choose folder home/knoppix/ray, that gets it going with my bookmarks etc. Any ideas? Thanks.

The default prefs.js file in FireFox probably needs to be edited.

Ok, let me guess.. instead of opening a new window you are running Firefox again, am I right? In this case, most likely reason you're getting into trouble with profiles is because you have a lock file somewhere in you profile directory. Remove it and you should be ok.

There's also another way getting around this "problem". Personally, I don't see why anyone would want to run the program again.. it's like buying two movie tickets to see the same movie at the same time. Anyway, I think this would help:

http://www.linuxforum.com/tutcomments/19/108.php

dapper i know what u mean bout two windows though it may as well be using ie

i have this because i have serious add i found this soulution and i really do this i run konquerer mozilla and epiphany all at once as far as the bookmarks and things go im not sure i just post my bookmarks on my site and set that as my home page

You can also use "ctrl+n", or "file -> new" to open multiple navigator windows in Firefox.