Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iamroot

preparation for dual boot system

I'm preapring for a dual boot system with winxp and red hat 9.0. What measures will i have to take to prepare my system?

The first thing is to make sure your system is linux compatible

like my motherboard ethernet wasnt supported by linux

if something isnt supported look around and look for a distro that supports it, driver, etc. (the issue could be the kernel and you may need a distro with a newer kernel just giving perspective)

second backup system

get all the drivers just in case and put them on a cd

have xp installed

defragment the drive

research the version your using, like how to get updates, make manual updates etc.

figure out how you want to partition ie 2 seperate one linux one xp three spaces one for redhat one for xp and one for a rainy day

thats about all i do before install xp

one thing i do have to say is if your using red hat, it is known to be a pain with xp from what i heard but if you do it right it should work fine

What kind of problems can occur with red hat and win xp. I have heard oif such issues but never personally experienced them b4.

Originally posted by iamroot:

Quote:
What kind of problems can occur with red hat and win xp. I have heard oif such issues but never personally experienced them b4.

I have ;(. Red Hat and Fedora do not play well with Windows!

fedora 2 was the only one i had issues with i know onetime i went for winupdates and it deleted my linux partitions but at times there are issues i found less trouble with redhat 9.0

i did not have any problems installing xp and rh9 on the same box. i have mercury mother board, with intel celeron.

it worked the first time, with no problems whatever. wish you all the best.

Is it true that if u use red hat 9.0, it will auto-mount any FAT 16 and FAT32 partitions but not NTFS partitions. Is it true?

Let's distinguish between RedHat and Fedora. They are two different versions. You can expect the newer version (Fedora) to possibly have more support for NTFS. This support has been in development for some time. READ support, not write support.

True, historically RedHat may have problems with auto-mounting NTFS, but one should expect this...it is an older release.

Some XP users have fat32 partitions, some NTFS. It depends on what you specified during the install. The default is NTFS, especially on pre-installed systems. I too had some auto-mounting problems with NTFS in a couple of distros.

Surprise, I just did an install of Lindows Laptop Edition on my Thinkpad (which has 2 NTFS partitions) and Lindows can read them both, auto-mounts them as well. I would not have expected this, since Lindows is a little behind the times, I thought, for this support.