Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Niels82

fedora core 1 - connect to internet

Hi,

I am very new to linux, so I know extremely little.

I just installed linux for the first time, and chose fedora core 1. It all went well, but I dont know how to setup an internet connnection.

I am on a LAN, so I think it should be fairly simple, Id appreciate any help.

Thank you.

im not an expert at this

but first what type of card are you using

you may need to get linux drivers for it

2ndlt if the card auto detects

click the hat (its been awhile since i used fedora so bare with me)

its either system settings or system tools i beleive system settings

click on network

in this option there should be something for new network

i beleive first it shows what card it uses if it does not list yours then youll need to get some drivers

if it does moving on through the procedure go through the steps and it should create a network

im not giving you step by step because its been like 3 weeks since i seen the fedora core interface

im sure that someone else can give better info

card game with my motherboard (NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Adapter) and i got drivers in the CD there at /drivers/all-in-one/linux/ and ive installed this thing ..

I also went to system tools or whatever and tried to set it up after. I chose ethernet setup and could chose card 0 (dont remember what linux call them, its xx0,xx1,xx1 like that listed for whatever number of cards you got anyway). So i did this, then tried to activate it, and i get message "Couldnt find card, it might not be present" or simular.

I got LAN connection and im using the same hardware writing this with winXP so it is plugged in right etc smile

So why can it not be found now ??

allright i have an nforce board 2 as well with built in lan im not sure if you installed the drivers righti couldnt get my nforce tow work with fedora so i switched to mandrake 10 ce

now id wait for danleff or daper dan to get here before switching but the issue that i found is the kernel that is default to fedora does not support the nforce ethernet conroller with the current kernel 2.4 something so you said you installed the drivers that shoulda done the trick realize im a newbie as well and im not the best for advice so wait for some one higher on the chain

i was inable to get my nforce ethernet to work until i tried fedora core test 2

so once that comes out itll be easier but like i said wait for danleff

i started a thread on the nvidia site and this is what i got

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26149

this might offer some advice as you can see it seems that the issue is the same its all about that driver

and just wait for some one with a bit more experience

if you dont want any serious trouble installing the network id recommend madnrake 10 ce thats what im using with my nforce and everything was preset

sorry i couldnt be more help

and oh yeah welcome to linux

So, you thought that it should be simple? smile

The issue is with the nForce lan that is built in, as SoulNothing said.

Some, who have experience wth this have no problem, but this is a frequently asked question with the nForce boards.

The first issue, is how is the lan card set up to the internet, through a router, or directly to a usb cable modem?

The second...save some time and go out and buy a Realtek or Linksys nic card and save yourself the headaches. They can be had for about $10-15 dollars at most stores.

I had the same trouble with my nForce motherboard and pulled a Belkin nic card that I had out of the closet (it has a Realtek chipset in it). Fedora picked it up right off.

Once you are up an running, then you can decide if you want to tackle getting the nForce nic to work.

Refer to the link that SoulNothing gave you to get an idea if you feel comfortable enough to tackle this or not.

Also I am curious, what motherboard is this?

thanks danleff for showing knew you could finish what was needed to be said

let me just say getting the force to work with a 2.4 kernel is a pain for newbies i may just not know what is up with the drivers or not but yeah what board type is yours

heres some from ebay happy shopping if your sticking with fedora

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58303&item=3093055930&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51189&item=3092505073&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51189&item=3092505073&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51192&item=3093400529&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51195&item=3093452708&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51195&item=3093497126&rd=1

here you go just search ebay there pretty cheap

and danleff i didnt even think bout buying a new card

i forgot to mention make sure its linux compatible before you buy i just pulled up some cheap ones shipping is the price buster

I just plug in directly with a cable .. 10mbit lan smile

Mainboard

Manufacturer : ASUSTeK Computer INC.

Model : A7N8X-X

Version : REV 2.xx

Chipset 1

Model : ASUSTeK Computer Inc nForce2 AGP Controller

Bus(es) : AGP PCI USB i2c/SMBus

if your going to stick with fedora than id recommend buying one or if not look for public mirrors to mandrake 10 ce

I can switch to Mandrake 10 ce as you call it .. whats special with "ce"? I actually tried mandrake 10 right before i tried Fedora, but the install just locked up and I had to 'pull the plug' on it every time smile Guess the download was bad..

Where can i download a good "mandrake 10 ce" then?

One of these :http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ftp.php3 ?

Id like to just download iso images so i can burn them on CDs, I dont know what to grab from these open archieves ..

Id like to try that instead of you think itll just find my card without problem smile Just need to get started so I can learn how linux works, dont think it matters a ton which one I start with

"Id like to try that instead of you think itll just find my card without problem Just need to get started so I can learn how linux works, dont think it matters a ton which one I start with"

There are only two distros i got to pick up my nforce ethernet controller off the bat

Fedora 1.90 test

and mandrake 10 ce for the time being i recommend mandrake its a nebies dream and windows friendly its like rehab for the windows addicted

all right sounds like you had the same problem that i did

CE i think means beta let community test it that sort of thing

final is out and is cheap to

http://linuxiso.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17273&sid=df3bc60d13fea872f66ea90cbfda26a8

this is the ones i grab

ftp://ftp.uninett.no/pub/unix/Linux/Mandrakelinux/devel

i got mine from one of these links when you go to install do not choose LSB make sure you install 2.6

the only problems i have is the ones i made other than that it works like a beut fedora and mandrake arent much different the main thing i see is mandrakes control panel is windows friendly and easier to install

you may want to check for the md5 sum but i cant get it to work

youll need all three isos totaling around 2.1 gb with my cable i got it in two hours i know that it makes things alot easier with a nforce board and there are so many options

Quote:
quoted text
Quote:
quoted text
Quote:
quoted text

woah your processor is 64 bit your going to have to ask danleff but i dont think there are any distros with a 2.6 kernel

you need 2.6 because that is what supports the nforce boards

im lost now there are older editions of mandrake 9.2 is 64 bit but that wouldnt work your going to need to ask danleff now

sorry

The first thing to ascertain, is if your system is a 64 bit processor. Consult the system's user manual. If you installed the processor yourself, you will know.

The second link you showed is for Mandrake 10 Release Candidate 1. This is not a final edition version.

The first link is for Mandrake Community Edition. This is more or less the pre-final edition. This one does have the kernel that you should need to run your nForce board, hopefully the nic will be recognized as well. The install lock-ups are probably a hardware issue, or a bad cd burn. It can also be a processor issue (hardware).

When you burn your cd's, lock-ups on install can also be a bad cd burn issue. Burn the cd images on good quality cdr media. If possible stay away from cdrw media, as they can be problematic in some cdrom drives. Burn the images at a slow speed, not over 8X and better at 4X.

Make sure that there was no problem with the download, as well. Did the download stall out or fail, then you resumed it? Do you have broadband to download the images?

What burning software are you using, as well? Nero?

Post some of your system specs. and we will look at it.

Quote:
The first thing to ascertain, is if your system is a 64 bit processor. Consult the system's user manual. If you installed the processor yourself, you will know.
SiSoftware Sandra

Processor
Model : AMD Athlon XP 2500+
Speed : 1.83GHz
Model Number : 2500 (estimated)
Performance Rating : PR2654 (estimated)
Type : Standard
Package : Socket A PGA
Multiplier : 11/1x
Generation : G7
Name : Duron M10 & Athlon MP/XP (Barton/Thorton) 130nm 1.8GHz+ 1.6-1.65V
Revision/Stepping : A / 0 (0)
Stepping Mask : A2
Core Voltage Rating : 1.650V
Maximum Physical / Virtual Addressing : 34-bit / 32-bit
Native Page Size : 4kB

amd64 was in the link, i just didnt know what it meant, wrote it in a bad spot so i guess you misunderstood me and though i had 64 bit cpu smile
Quote:

When you burn your cd's, lock-ups on install can also be a bad cd burn issue. Burn the cd images on good quality cdr media. If possible stay away from cdrw media, as they can be problematic in some cdrom drives. Burn the images at a slow speed, not over 8X and better at 4X.
Well i definately failed that one! Threw it on at 52x or something LOL
Quote:

Make sure that there was no problem with the download, as well. Did the download stall out or fail, then you resumed it? Do you have broadband to download the images?
10mbit, doesnt take me long at all smile Got around 1.1 mb/s when downing it.. ill download from my first link there again, burn at slower speed, then try ..
Quote:

What burning software are you using, as well? Nero?
Yes, nero
Quote:

Post some of your system specs. and we will look at it.

posted at the start...

ah geez, now it all went cool until i was almost done, after cd3 it asked for cd4!?!,

"if you dont have it press cancel and dont install from this cd" so i press cancel and it all freeze up, and i just had to pull the plug again, darnit!

First of all, if you are new to Linux Fedora Core is really not a good idea to start out on. You are going to be here, buried in the books, internet help sites, etc. for the majority of your waking life. I recommend switching before you get too involved. Here are a few excellect options to you starting off:

SuSE

Lindows (now Linspire)

Linux ManDrake

These are just about the easiest to get your feet wet. Otherwise you may be entering more "terminal" configurations than you can shake a stick at.

I have been an avid RedHat user for a few years now and enjoy its flexibility (especially with Fedora Core).

But if you so insist:

If you are using KDE...

Click the "K", go to System, Internet Configuration Wizard..

Follow the wizard. Odds are that your ethernet card is recognized..

If you are using Gnome it is relativly the same.

Now as to your LAN:

-Do you have a router on the frontside (ie connecting to a cable/DSL modem)?

-Or are you on a work/school LAN?

This will matter when the question of Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) comes into play.

If you are on a DHCP network it's really easy for you because your server will automatically assign you the IP vice..

If not, enter your assigned IP address, Sub-net Mask, and default gateway. Make sure you type in your DNS server (if not automatically assigned).

Does this help?

OK, now I am getting confused. Are we still installing Mandrake? If so and SoulNothing is correct about the nic card detection in nForce boards in Mandrake 10 CE;

When you start the install process, you will get a window that asks you what additional cd's that you have cd1, cd2...At that window, uncheck cd4 if you do not have it (which you will not have if you are using the downloaded version).

Allow the installation to proceed. Toward the end, you will see a summary window, outlining the hardware and settings. Pay special attention to the Network entry. If it shows that the network is configured...good! Skip the next paragraph. It may say Network...not configured." If this is the case, click the config. setting button for this and try to configure the network card. See if it is detected.

This is where the last post comes in. If you are on cable, like Roadrunner, the ip address is auto assigned. Use dhcp and choose to allow dhcp to be assigned at boot. Don't worry about any ip values and such, unless you are on a service that assigns static addresses. You should know if this is the case, such as maybe a school network. DO disable the checkmark on "network hotpluging" as you navigate through the menus.

If the card gets detected, but on re-boot to the system there is no internet connection, let us know. This happened to me in Mandrake 10 on my system. There is a fix for this on notherboards that misbehave with acpi (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) and Linux.

More on that later, if the lan still does not work.

Yeah im going for mandrake.

The thing you say about it will ask me what CDs i have, i never get. However I can click Cancel during the installation, instead of putting in CD4.

For some reason, it locks up, freeze, at random places. I burned at 4x speed on a high quality CD this time.

Sometimes, when lucky, it doesnt lock up during this process. I must have run it about 15 times now lol. Anyway, one time I got to the configuration, and I did configure network card, and it did find it. Ive come to this point several times, and I did the settings you mention here. Also at this stage, it locks up and force be to pull the plug at random places. For example when I chose country once, it froze. Absolutely no idea why this happens.

So when I was on a roll, I got through it (somehow). Im not sure if all got set properly, and i guess it didnt, cause the problem now was that it wouldnt boot. Froze when trying to boot the system every time, even though I had loaded the boot things and such in the configuration earlier.

I guess its very close (those times im lucky), but I got no idea why it acts this way. (mandrake 10 ce)

I will try a few times again now to be sure of the things you mentioned! Thanks alot!

let me just say i been there had to download the isos three times before i got a good download

1st one couldnt find files

2nd froze up randomly at either install or end configuratiion

3rd time didnt freeze unless i went for updates

my best advice is this leave it on as it is get a new set of isos and when you go to install again click upgrade and it should help finish it off

danleff it never asked me for what cds i had either

your best bet is to get a new batch of isos maybe even check for the md5 sums which danleff probaly understands better than i do

real quick though which boot setting you choosing because i ran into this issue as well

this is what i had to do

boot into windows

defrag

clean the files temp prefetch etc.

shutdown leave off for ten minutes

boot into linux safe

if that does not work try failsafe

this was where it got closest it always hung up on mnts

shutdown and try regular boot wait because mandrake 10 ce is known to be like windows freezing for a certain amount of time

Weee! I finally came through... ! Thanks alot for your help folks, I really appreciate it. Forums such as this is great, and just for the record, I help out alot in open source forums, just not linux as i sux at it smile

I got a few things to fix here but I think Ill be able to start learning now at least, looks cool!

you dont suck at anything your just not familiar glad to hear its up and running just curious what did you do

and as you know any questions you can just ask here

i hope you enjoy mandrake its alot of fun