Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wardie

ATI and Slackware

Just downloading Slackware overnight tonight ready for tommorow when I go to town to purchase some more blank discs.

I had trouble last time with Mandrake 9.1 and the official Radeon drivers for Linux and they would not install.

Was wondering if anyone could help me out in advance or ready for tommorow when I install with setting up my ATI 9600XT 256mb.

Just as some added extra information, my full system specs are as follows.

AMD Athlon XP 2200+

Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 256mb

512mb TwinMOS PC3200

Jetway KT400 Motherboard

80GB Maxtor

The default kernel with Slackware 9.1 is 2.4.24 if I remember rightly, so would also be upgrading to 2.6.5 or 2.4.26, which ever has the better support for ATI?

Thanks in advance,

Wardie

Although I understand that others may have different priorities, personaly I can't see having to compile a kernel for ATI propritary drivers. the current x configures the display just fine for me and the only reason to have the new drivers would be to play games? Not worth it for me.

One of the guys on the Mepis Forum claims that the new beta does include and configure the ATI drivers, 3d and all, for his 7500 laptop. That's nice, but I'll still wait untill the beta is a little further along.