Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
overworked

Building the registry for slipstreamed W2K media

I've been working on slipstreaming SP4 and all the current hotfixes into W2K installation media. So far, I've gotten all the files applied properly from an unattended install. Unfortunately, there are many registry keys to set for Active X stuff and the like. I used Novell ZenWorks to create a snapshot of a system prior to installation of the hotfixes and after so, I have a cleaned up AXT file with the registry entries I want. If I convert that to an AOT file, I still need Novell to stuff the registry(((... I'm trying to make this a self-contained deployment. Anyone have any good, free ways of turning a Novell AXT file into a reg or MSI file?

-overworked-

PS: does anyone know what a "<" symbol means when occuring in the W2K registry before a class ID? I encountered this the first time in examining the WMPlayer 6.4 patch. There was a class ID duplicated with the exception of the "<" symbol on the end. Since then, I've seen this in W2K and WXP registries with and without the corresponding duplicate key.....

I've seen this in so many places in WXP and W2K registries I think it's probably some programatic thing.... It really isn't unique to WMP. Thanks for all the ideas, though!

Here are a couple of examples from a WXP machine....

>{0F8F576D-0A18-4282-B7AD-8D8AB46CD511}

This one involves Active Set-up and the version info.

>{26923b43-4d38-484f-9b9e-de460746276c}

This is another Active Set-up key....

>{0F8F576D-0A18-4282-B7AD-8D8AB46CD511}

This one is from IE branding....

This is just one of those annoying little things I'd like to know the answer to. The real meat and potatoes of my question is really how do I convert my AOT/AXT file to a reg or MSI file so I can install the entries without the aid of Novell.

You are entirely correct!

Originally for some unknow reason I typed "<" (less than) when I intended to type ">" (greater than)....

I think there may be an application to turn a AXT/AOT file into a MSI file but I doubt it is cheap or free.

Thanks for the input!

-overworked-

Well, to answer part of my own question....

I've found that from Novell Console One you can export registry entries from the AXT/AOT files by editing the application object and simply right clicking on the part of the registry you want and select export....yes, I'm depriving a village of an IDOT.

As for the ">" question....no answers yet.