Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LinuxCrusader

backing up dvd's with k3b?

I'm trying to back up one my dvds with K3b 'cause it's getting all scratched up, so when I was doing it through k3b (using the copy dvds function) it shows that this dvd is 7gigs, so of course I can't put it in a 4.7gig dvd+R...but I was wondering if anyone knows how to back up or copy the exact copy into on of these blank dvds, or do people usually use two blank ones. Please someone post suggestions in how to rip dvds with K3b or other suggestions as well.

Actually, this is a good question. Did you ask the question, or search for a thread on the k3b forum? The last I read, an xcopy like feature is not available yet, but I would assume that you need to use the proper media size dvd-r to the one that you are backing up (assuming that your drive supports the larger size media). Otherwise, copy the dvd to a directory (if it is just a data dvd) on the hard drive and burn 2 single copies that match your media size on the dvd.

Also, if there are any hidden files on the dvd, then make sure you enable this option in k3b, to include these files.

It's actually one of my movies that I want to back up. I try doing a little research on this, but only found long scripts of code from people, which are supposed to ripp dvds but still bugs in them that were never resolved. I'm relative new to K3b, but I was thinking they would have this option like DVDX Copy which just rips it for you. I didn't ask this question or search for this thread in a K3b forum.

Actually, just for the record, I downloaded dvdshrink (free software) on Win$ which encodes the whole dvd and then I use K3b to put in just one dvd-r, quality is good also. I know that this is not the most effective way, but I'm sure that there's got to be a free encoder out there for Linux as well, and if anyone knows...please let us know.