Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tsonta101

Hardware Failure...Help me identify what's fried!

Hi everyone,

a couple of hours ago, I installed a demo and I was happily playing, when my pc froze (see my sig for specs). Ctrl-alt-del wouldn't work, so I shut it down by keeping the power button pressed. I pressed it again, fans and hard drives began spinning and everything shut down again. That's odd I thought and tried again and again. Sometimes the pc would come to life for a second and sometimes for a whole couple of minutes. Nothing on the screen, no error codes from the beeper, not even the 'everything ok' beep. So, I took the fx5600 card out, stuck an MX440 in and nothing again.

Ok it's not the video card, because it still works on another pc (the very one I am using now)

Is it the M/B? Although the power led is on (for the duration the pc is on)

Is the power supply? [edit: although it's a very reliable unit, I've had it for over a year, I've tested it again and it's ok.]

Is it the CPU?

Is it the RAM?

I can't test the cpu or the fx5600 cause this old pc cannot take either.

I even pulled everything (except a ram stick, cpu and video card) out from the m/b and it still won't boot. Also, nothing on the m/b shows damage (like a blown capacitor etc). This setup has been working over a month now, although I must confess that I've overclocked it from the moment I got my hands on it.

I am contacting the hardware store I got it from, but I am asking for any ideas? Thank you!

It could be the psu mobo or the cpu.

Remove all the cards, ram... except the cpu. Power on and if it doesn't beep you can be sure it's one of those three. Test the psu in another system. If you ask me it's most likely the mobo.

I've already tried removing everything from the board, but it still wouldn't boot properly. I'm almost convinced that it can't be the cpu, pentium4 cpus just lower their clock speed if they overheat. I phoned the hardware store and they 've asked me to send the cpu and motherboard back. I'll keep you posted.