Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mr_scroodge

Mechwarrior under windows XP

hi guys,

appreciated the info so far..... here's the rub tho,

following the advice of Curley_Boy, i set up vdmsound and nolfb and sapucdex with a .bat file. Mechwarrior 2 runs through the intro movie flawlessly (just like i remember it running when I was 11) and goes to the screen where you select allegiances or trials of grievance. if i attempt an allegiance, it plays the intro movie with perfect sound, i briefly glimpse the allegiance hall menu, and then it exits back to windows without a message or anything. if i select the trials of grievance, it lets me into the selection window for the mechs and arena, but as soon as the jumpship loading screen displays, it exits right back into windows without a message. i know someone already said more or less the same thing, but i noticed everyone here talking about xp.....i run win2k (the best thing microsoft has done since dos 6.22) and i'm at a loss for what to do to solve this problem.....any win2k experts out there with some suggestions?

much obliged for any assistance rendered.

"windows 2000 is NOT windows millenium" anonymous

The dropship menu accesses VESA on your videocard. If NTVDM isn't allowing proper access then that can cause the drop to desktop.

What SP level of Windows 2000 are you using?

What video card are you using?

Also try adjusting the order of NOLFB in your .BAT file. If above sapucdex then put it below.

If that doesn't work then disable sound, don't use SAPUCDEX or VDMSOUND, just use NOLFB.

Also try with the v1.1 patch or without.

hello dosfreak,

I am using Service Pack 4.

Here's what I forgot to mention in my last post. I am trying to do this on an IBM ThinkPad T23. It's using a SuperSavage/IXC16mb video card. (I know that laptop compatibility with dos programs is an issue as well)

As for the suggestion on the order for NolfB... i might just be a moron, but the .bat file i created goes as follows:

c:\mech2\vdms\dosdrv.exe

c:\mech2\mech2.exe

c:\mech2\mouse2kv.exe

c:\mech2\nolfb.com

sapucdex isn't in there. the instructions (i thought i followed) said to:

(Curley_boy)

"To enable cd audio support extract sapucdex to your windows\system32 folder and then you need to edit a few files:

Firstly autoexec.nt (which is also located in your system32 folder). Edit with notepad or a similar program and replace the line:

lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

with

lh %SystemRoot%\system32\sapucdex.exe"

i did this, and i didn't think any mention of sapucdex.exe had to be made in the .bat file in the mech2 directory.... please tell me if i'm just being stupid.

as for the patch, i downloaded it and tried applying it, but it cancelled as it was mentioned it might do. i have choice.com, but i must ashamedly admit i do not know how to use it in conjunction with the patch file. (i haven't been dos fluent since 1998) sorry to be such a newb about all this.

patience appreciated

ok,

i fiddled with the setup a bit more, and here's what i've got:

c:\mech2\sapucdex.exe

c:\mech2\MOUSE2KV.EXE 1024 768 8 8 mech2.EXE

thats my .bat file, and things are running diferently now.

when i select trial of grievance, and launch, it shows me the dropship image for loading, the screen goes blank for a few seconds, and then it restarts at the intro movie, except without sound.???.... if i select an allegiance, it plays the video, and then shows the clan hall, but the image goes wonky, and if i click the mouse, it goes back to the menu page again. i have no idea why its now doing this, but it's driving me up the wall!

any assistance is most appreciated

Yep, sounds like a VESA incompatibility.

Okay, I believe the patch did help a little bit in my case. The last time I installed it I used DosBox. You have to mount the mech2 directory in dosbox, then copy the patch files to the mech2 directory, and then run the patch installation.

If you don't know how to use DosBox or don't want to bother with it. You can manually extract the files from the patch using Winrar. Once extracted simply rename the extensions to their full names (.EX_ is .EXE). I forget what the extension are for the GIDDI files, so check your installed MECH2 directory for their proper names. Once renamed, copy these files into their appropriate locations in the MECH2 directory.

Once you get the patch installed, try MECH2 again. If you still get messed up video then try this: http://www.nomissoft.com/newsflash.html

Be warned, this isn't an official Microsoft patch and could conceivably mess up your system. All it does is modify VGA.SYS to support proper access to the VESA modes on your video card.

Hi, guys. Qbod, in your first post, your problems sounded very similar to mine (although after your later modifications, I didn't have the problems that you now have). From where I was when I posted a few weeks ago, all that I needed to do was download a crack for Mechwarrior 2.

Of course, with this crack for 1.1, you need to find a way to patch it to 1.1. When I did the patching, it was somewhat tedious, but I did manage to patch the game to 1.1. From there, I cracked it, and I got through the "Drop procedure Initiated" screen and played away merrily.

Now that I've had my share of fun with MW2, I am trying to get GBL to work. I am having some trouble with this. It keeps telling me that the CD cannot be found, so I'm looking for a No-CD crack for GBL, just as I did for MW2. If anyone finds such a thing, please let me know. Thanks!

qbodsyt,

I don't know about your video bomb outs but I did see something in your batch file that tripped me up at first. Here is what you listed earlier:

c:\mech2\sapucdex.exe

c:\mech2\MOUSE2KV.EXE 1024 768 8 8 mech2.EXE

If you look closely you will see that the game is being launched twice. Once in line three and once in line five. The mouse2kv.exe line doesn't just set the mouse window, it launches the game with those parameters. I had similar symptoms as you described until I did away with the second launch. Here is my batch file that I run with VDMSOUND:

nolfb.com

sapucdex.exe

MOUSE2KV.EXE 1024 768 8 8 mech2.EXE

The only problems I seem to have is that the game does not recognize my middle mouse button and no CD audio. However the problem may be with my CD itself. I set up DOS on an old PII I had laying around with an AWE64 ISA sound card in it and installed the game. No CD audio in Mech II but in Mercenaries and the original DOS Quake I had CD audio. This leads me to believe I may only have the one mouse problem left.

Good luck to all and if anyone figures out the middle button thing give us a holler.

Just wanted to post that in beta vers of DosBox (CVS) you can now load up Mechwarrior 2 (Not Mercs) as an .ISO and not have to use a cd crack. So it is being worked on. If you don't know what a CVS is then don't worry about, continue to use the cd crack.

the mechwarrior 2/netmech revival LIVES!

http://s10.invisionfree.com/NETMECH_CLASSIC/index.php?

i finally decided it was time to create a forum all about bringing netmech/mechwarrior 2 back to life. it (the forum) was born today - PLEASE swing by!!

i, hooby, the admin, also plan on adding a subforum to it thats all about getting mechwarrior 2 running, so all you support-happy folk can feel right at home!

THANK YOU!

Please don't post useless links. There are hundreds of more usefull web pages on the internet than that one. The only reason that one is quoted often is that it's from MS, that's it. Not because of any actual usefullness. I would bash it but I haven't bothered to create a webpage myself. Anyways, It has nothing to do with MW2 on XP so therefore it's useless.

Originally posted by dosfreak:

Quote:
Please don't post useless links. There are hundreds of more usefull web pages on the internet than that one. The only reason that one is quoted often is that it's from MS, that's it. Not because of any actual usefullness. I would bash it but I haven't bothered to create a webpage myself. Anyways, It has nothing to do with MW2 on XP so therefore it's useless.

?? It is an article on how to get win 9x games to run under winxp, hell it even mentions mw2 in the intro... and the problems which are usually come across are discussed, including the game running super fast?

What do you mean it is a useless link that has nothing to do with MW2???

It only mentions Mech2 because it's mentioning "old" games, not because the contents of the post have anything usefull to get Mech2 to work under Windows XP.

The only thing it mentions that relates to Mech2 is VDMSound but it doesn't mention Mech2 in relation to VDMSound except at the Intro.

Basically, please read the entire thread before posting links to sites that do not help.

Hi,

i've enjoyed reading these posts so far and have looked forward to playing mw2 mercs again.

i'm trying to get mw2 mercs running on winxp. as curley_boy suggested i installed vdmsound and i downloaded nolfb which i put into my mercs folder on my hard disk (after installation). the problem is with recognising that the cd is in the drive. i couldn't install the dos version of mercs using vdmsound because it didn't recognise that i had the cd in the drive so i installed it without using vdmsound. the sound card setup recognised my sound card as a soundblaster 100% compatable and even played the test ok so that seems fine. once i'd installed it all and put the nolfb files into my mercs folder i made a bat file as curley_boy suggested with...

nolfb.com

mercs.exe

instead of...

nolfb.com

mech2.exe

but when i try to run the bat file with vdmsound it doesn't recognise that i have the disk in the drive again. everytime i use vdmsound for any part of this process it doesn't recognise that the disk is there. my cd drive is f: will that make a difference? how can i get this working? do i need to do the sapucdex part of the post? as far as i can see that is just for playing the music off the cd so i don't think i need to do that.

if anyone knows how to krak the mercs.exe and mw2.exe files so it doesn't need the cd to work i would love to hear how to do that or if they have a krak for it or know where i can get one, again i would appreciate any help. i read some other articles about kraking the mw2 files but it was talking about mw2 not mercs and when i tried to find the hex codes in the mercs files (mw2.exe and mercs.exe) i couldn't find them so they must not be the same as with mw2.

i don't know whether the problem is with mercs or my pc setup or vdmsound.

any help would be greatly appreciated as i really want a game of this soon.

cheers

bone

Hmmm, try this.

Go to command prompt

CD to your Mech2 directory

Type in:

DOSDRV

Then

NOLFB

Then

Mech2 or mercs or whatever the executable name is.

Report back if this fixes your CD problem. It should since this way your using NT's Config/Autoexec.NT instead of VDMSound's.

Hi,

no that didn't work. VDMSound and NOLFB loaded ok but it still came up with...

Error: MechWarrior2: Mercenaries CD-Rom not found

maybe it's the fact that my cd drive is f: and not d: or e: like most peoples would be?

anyway, thanks for your help. i think a friend of mine has mw2 not mercs so i might wait till i can borrow it off him and try that instead. if i still have a problem with the cd when i install mw2 then i know a site which explains how to krak it so i don't need a cd. if only mw3 and mw4 were any good we wouldn't need all of this work to play a game. IMO microsoft royally arsed up mechwarrior. pity activision couldn't get their hands on it again...

cheers

bone

p.s. i just remembered that i had the same problem with dosbox and apparently they fixed it so that dosbox should recognise cd's ok. i think it might well be my pc which is the problem. bugger!

No, DosBox doesn't recognize the Mercs CD but it does work for the MW2 CD.

How many CD drives do you have? If you have multiple CD drives try the CD drive that has a letter closer to C: than your other drive. Also try to change the drive letter closer if you can.

Before you do that tho check your autoexec.nt file and make sure that this line is in there:

%SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

My advice... don't use dos box for Mechwarrior 2. The game will usually launch on its own if its gonna launch at all.

lordlupin, Mechwarrior 2 (all of them) is very picky. The games were designed in an era where having two CD drives on the same computer was almost unheard of. So if you've got multiple CD drives, the fact that your main CD drive is F probably is part of your problem. So like dosfreak suggested, change the letter of one of your CD drives to D: and see if that helps

qbodsyt, as was pointed out, your batch file was totally messed up. But if fixing it up didn't help, do the following:

-Go into your mech2 directory

-Right click on the exe file, and hit properties

-Go into the program tab, and uncheck the box "close on exit"

Now you'll see a PIF dos shortcut file appear. Use that to run the game. Attempt to do as you did before, and get it to crash. Then you'll be able to see the error message, if any.

Thanks for creating the list of things to do to get mw2 mercs to work! However, I still have a problem. I'm currently using the 1.06 version of mercs. After starting a new game, putting in callsign and selecting a mission in mercenary mode w/ money activated and after loading a mission, I get up to the neurohelmet cinema then it crashes. The error shown is MW2.exe - fatal error 53: SYSERR_CDNOTFOUND: CD-ROM not mounted. Also, i got the same error w/ vdmsound 2.0.4 and 2.1.0. Oh btw, i made a bat file in the order shown in the faq, and my first cd-rom drive is e, as my comp has a hd partition on the d drive. Any suggestions on how to fix the problem would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Looks like it's not able to find the CD. This also happens if yout MW2: Mercs CD doesn't have CD audio tracked. To verify this try to see if Windows Media Player can see the CD tracks. If it can then that's not your problem. If it can't then you won't be able to get it work.

Well this is a seperate (yet entirely related) problem I am having. I have gotten Mechwarrior 2 to start, run, and do everything correctly. The mouse works quick, the CD tracks play right, I can go into either Clan Hall, I fixed the choppy sound, etc. etc.

But there is still one major problem. There seems to be a problem with the game's collision detection. On the one hand, some objects simply cannot be shot : specifically, those behind objects that have been exploded, but are now visible. For intsance, I cannot shoot anyone standing behind an exploded building, even if I can see them. The lasers just sort of impact this... 'nothing' and there is a puff, like they hit the ground. But even more important, I cannot do the Cold Crescent mission, the one for Clan Wolf where you have to infiltrate the Falcons and destroy the terraformer core. It is absolutely, 100% impossible to shoot the core, because you have to blast open a side of the building it is in to get in there. My shots just 'puff' in the middle of nowhere. I can even walk inside the terraformer building, screw around in there for awhile, get really really close to the core... and it still just goes 'puff'. One time I got the Jade Falcon Rifleman IIC to follow me in there, and we were wailing on each other with shots that puffed right in front of us... it was really, really weird.

Needless to say, I am unhappy at my inability to destroy the core, because I need to to complete the mission.

Another problem is missiles explode in my face. When I fire them, they just blow up right in front of me and do a lot of damage to myself. It never did this before, and it is really irritating.

Anybody have any idea what is wrong, or how I can fix it?

EDIT : I was muckin' about with the mission, trying various things to see if it would help, including the enolagay (blows up everything) cheat code, which did not help. Somehow I actually managed to shoot the core and explode it, and I think it had something to do with having one of my medium pulse lasers mounted in the head, instead of the arms like usual. But missiles still explode in my face.

[Edited by BakNBlack on 2005-11-12 17:42:32]

Meh, nevermind. I got it to work once, but now I seem completely unable to duplicate the results, and have tried lasers in every position, head, all three torsos, legs, arms. Someone help?

Never experienced this issue before.

Are you using any patches for the game? Have you tried running the game under DosBox? Might want to do so and see if that fixes the issue,

Originally posted by dosfreak:

Quote:
Never experienced this issue before.

Are you using any patches for the game? Have you tried running the game under DosBox? Might want to do so and see if that fixes the issue,

I can no longer remember the reasoning, but I do remember reading somewhere to patch to version 1.1, which I did. However, I vaguely remember missiles failing to properly fire when it was in 1.0, and I was mucking about in Trials of Grievance (cuz nothing else would work!).

As far as DOSBox... when I attempt to run it in DOSBox, it simply tells me the CD is not present, which it totally is. Furthermore, according to the DOSBox site itself (specifically, http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php?showID=643&letter=M ), it states the game runs better OUTSIDE of DOSBox. It actually says it needs a crack to run in DOSBox, when it does not need one to run in XP!

It is all very confusing...

EDIT : I am thinking about just picking up Virtual PC, and then get the Titanium Edition of Ebay to run in a virtual Windows 98 or something.