Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Marker0077

Clients can't access server resources when server is locked.

I don't want anyone getting into the server via the actual server itself, I only want people to be able to get into the server via the network only, so I lock the server but the only problem is when I lock the server, no one can access the printer or any of the file resources.

Any suggestions?

Something is very, very wrong with your setup. Locking the console of the server will normally have no impact on network access. Have you tried using custom policies/templates on that system? Which server OS is problem on?

The OS is Win2k DataCenter Server. For some odd reason they set things up all different then it is with the standard OS's; For example, this thing originally made me do the CTRL+ALT+DEL thing on startup & everytime the thing is locked up. I'm sure this is something similar but I do not find anything about this in the policies so I'm a bit lost atm.

Thanks for your time.

Originally posted by marker0077:

Quote:
The OS is Win2k DataCenter Server. For some odd reason they set things up all different then it is with the standard OS's; For example, this thing originally made me do the CTRL+ALT+DEL thing on startup & everytime the thing is locked up. I'm sure this is something similar but I do not find anything about this in the policies so I'm a bit lost atm.

Thanks for your time.

DC Server is designed to be installed and tweaked by the vendor that is selling it (Compaq, Unisys, etc.) which is why it is so different. This also explains why people that have accquired it through alternate means have so many issues with compatibility. Unless you are running > 16 processors or manage several virtual servers, there is no need to use this. Hence why it isn't meant to be purchased in the same manner that the other versions of W2K Server are. Switch server versions.

To what? Standard Win2k server?

The only thing the server serves is printer & various file resources (standard file sharing) - that's it. I was under the impression that using the server OS will make the network run faster & people will be able to get to the files & whatnot faster as well. That's the *only* reason I am using an actual server OS.

As for the machine itself, it's an old Pentium 1 (150mhz). It's not the best in the world but it serves it's purpose. I can't upgrade it to the 2004 server OS because it requires 164 megs of ram & this only has 64.

Thanks again for your time.

Quote:
To what? Standard Win2k server?

The only thing the server serves is printer & various file resources (standard file sharing) - that's it. I was under the impression that using the server OS will make the network run faster & people will be able to get to the files & whatnot faster as well. That's the *only* reason I am using an actual server OS.

As for the machine itself, it's an old Pentium 1 (150mhz). It's not the best in the world but it serves it's purpose. I can't upgrade it to the 2004 server OS because it requires 164 megs of ram & this only has 64.

Thanks again for your time.

Yeah, run standard on that box. Datacenter was never meant for that, and neither were any of the other versions for that matter. If you are running simple file and printer sharing, and have less than 10 concurrent connections, then use NT4 workstation or W2K Pro at the very most. If you have more than 10 concurrent connections, then use NT4 Server or W2K Server on it (not adv server, and not DC server).

I have 3 workstations running off of the 1 server, so I'm a bit confused... should I be using Win2k standard OS or Win2k standard server OS?

Quote:
I have 3 workstations running off of the 1 server, so I'm a bit confused... should I be using Win2k standard OS or Win2k standard server OS?

Since you have 3 workstations connected chances are great you can get by with only having to use NT4 Workstation or Win 2K Pro for this purpose.

I would opt for NT4 since you have an older and much slower CPU.

I don't have a copy of NT4, all I have is Win2k & the Win2k server OS's so should I use Win2k Pro (client OS) or should I use Win2k Standard Server OS?

My main thing here is speed. Will the server OS make the networking run faster or is it about the same? Because you need at least 64mb of RAM for the server OS & I think you only need about 8 mb for the standard client Win2k Pro OS.

Thanks for your time on this.

You will probably have ALOT of problems running Windows 2000 Anything with only 64meg of ram on a P150.

I would suggest you do ONE of two thing.

1)Buy your self a cheap 2.0 ghz machine for under $300-500 and install windows 2000 server, this will future proof your environment for lots and lots of speed for now and the future.

or 2) Buy from Ebay or borrow from a friend a copy of NT Workstation, and set it up on your old P150 with 64meg of ram. It will be slow but you could use your current older hardware.

I recommend solution one, as really you will be spending more dollars in time setting up either software than the $300-500 for the new hardware.

There really are no other solutions in your scenario.

Les