Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SoulNothing

minor issues with fedora test 1.90

network is finally up so im done complaining bout that

now i gotta ask is it just that its beta that both tar and rpms will not associate with anything

because when i open any tar rpm etc. it asks me to associate file type

i figured how to associate tar with file roller but it keeps freezing

so is it just the pre release issue or what

also heres a bug i got any advice is appreciated

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=119387

and yes im cursed not everything will work at once but interestingly enough since i removed xp its been smooth sailing

thanks in advance

[Edited by SoulNothing on 2004-03-30 07:43:27]

Hello,Soulnothing

How did you do with Fedora 1.9 ?

I played with it for a couple days but found that on

my machines Fedora 1.9 and XP just don't get along on

the same box.I even tried on seperate HDs but still no go.

Fedora's bootloaders ,both grub and lilo,said XP was corrupt,

then ignored it.Claimed the partition tables were bad.

They wouldn't even list it as an OS.Just showed Fedora.Does it

find your scanner? It couldn't find mine.

Have you tried Mandrake 10 ? It works very well with the scanner and printer on my HP 2210 all-in-one.Your 2110 uses the same drivers.

Just set up the printer and Xsane will recognize the scanner.

Gain and Kooka also work well with it.(1 glitch ,though,set image size at 90% because 100% setting is about 110%.)It also works ok with the OfficeJet r60.

apparently mandrake is missing the kernel when i tried to install it but nonethe less havent tried mandrake and xp isnt booting now either saying config is corrupt

i thought that was due to my recent bout with xp tweak crash

im imprissed with fedora because of the kernel mostly and the new kde other than that i cant tell much difference i just need to manually change the kernel above 2.6 for nforce support

Mandrake 10 uses the 2.6 kernal.Unlike Fedora,it has the

HP all-in-one drivers and they work.

[Cult Like Voice] Must get Mandrake 10 CE Must Get Mandrake 10 CE

[regular voice]reason why its not on i think i got a bad copy and my xp is dead i tweaked it for too much performance to the point where it was working something it aint used to anywho i ran a md5 sum checker and system froze reboot and the files wen tbye bye and i cant get them from the ftp link that was posted here sometime ago my computer was cursed by me long ago so if i can get mandrake ill give it a look see it just i love fedora its a great distro and all

[kid like voice] but mommy i want kernel 2.6 on fedora 1.0

interestingly enough i tried booting from fedora 1 last night and i saw the black screen like i had seen with so many other distros so i waited

and i waited finally rebooted something musta happened because this came up literally it looked like a cartoon when my jaw dropped

NO OPERATING SYSTEM FOUND

now luckily all my files were in place so im re instaling xp fixing that up then going to fedora 1.0 then fedora 1.90

any advice on trying to upgrade from kernel 2.4 to 2.6

thanks

from nothing

Have you tried ibiblio.org or linuxiso.org ?They are

both good sites for downloading distros.

The only advice I can give is get mandrake 10.

Maybe you can install RH 1 and upgrade the kernel.

I don't know how to do that but maybe Danleff can

tell you.

Giving advice can be a little iffy from someone

who doesn't have the same kinda box as you.A distro

can be a dream on one box and a nightmare on another.

Mel's points are well taken. I have tried the stock kernels available for Fedora Core 1, including 2.6.0, 2.6.3 and 2.6.4.

The only one that works on my system is 2.6.0, and that with a lot of tinkering. The other versions caused all kinds of major issues with booting up Fedora.

Fedora 1.9.0 is what it says it is, a test version. As such, it is intended for Linux geeks to TEST and give feedback. Certainly it should not be used in your main system.

It is not totally stable, nor is it intended to mess with for average users. You really should only use a stable release of any product on your main productionsystem.

Wait for the final release of Core 2, or try another distro, Like Mandrake Community Edition (Mandrake 10), if you insist on having kernel 2.6.

Let the developers work out the bugs first, then try it.

The 2.6 kernel kernel series handles hardware in a different way that the stable 2.4.X tree. This means that you need to adapt your system to the changes required in some core packages that Linux uses. This requires a fair amount of skill and know-how.

Of course, this is just my opinion!

I agree with danleff. even though the 2.6 kernel is 'available' it isn't a good choice unless your willing to do a lot of work. I'd love to try it but not as a main system. To many issues are only partially resolved.

I'm using Mandrake 10 with kernal 2.6.3 It works fine on both the eMachine and the HP.

If for some reason it doesn't work on yours, you can install with 2.4.25.

If you want to use 3rd party software, you'll need 2.4.25. Otherwise, 2.6.3 seems to be well worked out by the Mandrake folks.

I just installed with the defaults. After installing you can run '/system/configuration/packaging/install software' and install from a huge list of files which are on the 3 disks.

there is a good selection of desktops and drivers.

At this time, I am convinced that the time to DL and burn MDK10 is well spent.

I don't think it will be long 'til I can say "Windows ain't nuthin but a game box".

(If linux developers keep up the pace,I'll soon delete "but game box".)

Speaking as a noob whose opinion hasn't yet been swayed by anything resembling knowledge, I would recommend MDK10 for ease of installation and wide range of device drivers.

BTW,Danleff "just my opinion" means a lot to me coming from you and a few others posting on this site.

im going to stay away with editing for now and work with just getting my system up and running again gaghh so stupid i hate when i fall into a hole i cant climb out of

i need some help with md5 sum checker because whenever i run any type it usually ends up freezing my system

Did you try booting Mandrake with disc 2 ?

When you start install, you'll get a prompt.Just

put in disk 1 and hit OK. Swap disks when prompted.

Yep, if your going to do it, go with the source kernel. I just got 2.6.4 up and running on my Fedora Core I box with the source from kernel.org and the following;

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/article.php?story=20040315152255759

I'm going to try Mandrake 10 next, first with the kernel-image, then source. The Manrdake box should be easier, since 2.6 comes default on the distro, so the dependencies should not be a problem.