Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
lordbelial

Dead Spanned Volume

I have a 1Tb spanned volume (5x 200gb) on a Windows 2003 server. Recently, one of the drives died. I still have access to the spanned volume but it is painfully slow and frequently freezes. If I take out the dead drive, Windows will not mount the volume. Is there anyway to take out the dead drive and force windows to mount the volume with the missing drive? Should I just cut my losses, backup what I can and wipe all the drives? Any suggestions are appreciated.

I guess you have a software raid.

First backup all your data if you can.

If you know which hdd is bad you can try ghosting it to a new drive which has to be the same (type and size I think, but not sure)

If the ghosting program can read all the data from the bad drive you might get it all working again.

BTW: I tested this with hardware raid 0 with only two disks.

You can also try out this great piece of software to help recover most of the files in this array wink

With a spanned volume you cannot remove a driv and have it work. You must grab whatever data you can off it.

you ust have data on tape or something, no sane person would run a 1 TB span without some extra good backups.........