Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dizarludba

Processor Upgrade ?? P4 or P4E Prescott ??

Hi ,

I am a heavy 'multimedia editting' PC user , and currently Im running a PC with Pentium Celeron 2.4Ghz and I found my PC really really slow .My options are either overclocking my processor or upgrading it.Btw the 1st option (overclock) come to and end when I found out that my motherboard do not support o/c and it also mention that my Celeron is protected , in which means i can't overclock it ??? ( anyone knows how to o/c Celeron 2.4 Ghz ?? probably o/c it to 3 Ghz??? )So here come my 2nd option , upgrade my CPU and sell my Celeron in eBay .And i really have a tight budject on this frown , so the CPU that come up to my head is Prescott 2.8 Ghz or P4 3Ghz Northwood 512Kb cache .I just wonder if my motherboard support Prescott ( Socket 478 ?? ) I'd already read some news/reviews from web ( i.e. tomshardware and even ntcompatible forum ) and it mentions of heat problem ?? If it just heat problem i think i can find good heat fan for that .And one final thing , if let say I upgrade my cpu into my PC , do I have to reformat/reinstall Windows since 1 license/processor ?? is it ?? or I just plug in the processor and then e'things fine ?? Is there any suggestion ??? Anything would help please . Thanks .

My PC specs ,

Windows XP SP1 2600

Compaq S4150UK

Pentium Celeron 2.4 Ghz

768 Mb RAM ( 512 + 256 PC2700 )

MSI 6577 Motherboard ( Intel 845G )

ATI Radeon 9200SE

160 GB Maxtor D Plus 7200rpm ATA133

80 Gb Hitachi/IBM Desktar 7200

Your mobo is not prescott capable. It only supports p4 processors which run at 400 or 533 MHz FSB (front side bus) Prescotts and p4c's run at 800.

You could try overclocking your celeron to 533fsb instead of 400 (stock), but I'm not sure how.

The fastes CPU your mobo supports is the P4B 3.06 which is the fastes 533fsb cpu.

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=bph07942

You can also check the hp page and search for cpu upgrades for your system.

Some mobos based on the intel 845 chipset support 800fsb cpu's by overclocking but I doubt your will.

first check MSI for updated Bios, it may be able to help you out, but you have to have a MB that supports Presscott and if I am correct your MB has to be able support Hyper Threading. IF not then just buy a newP4 but make sure your MB supports it. But do check for a new Bios and you will now of your MB new features.

Don't overclock a celeron - they shouldnt be overlcocked, but it really depends on the generation of celeron. I myself am an Athlon man (overclockers dream), but i would say, try as hard as you can to get a P4 - any one, as long as it has multi-threading. They are the best for video editing - i managed to encode an entire DVD to a DivX video in about an hour.

You can upgrade your celeron with a p4. Here are a few rules to remember your "845" board only supports 400/533 front side bus that means no hyperthreading 800 FSB, also the oldest p4 "any less than the p4 2.0" don't work either so your choices are p4 2.26 to the p4 2.8 because you can only have p4 with the 512 L2 NOT the 1M of L2. somthing about the bios used with celerons is an older version in most cases the new celeron D may be upgraded with the larger L2 but that is not too clear at this point.