Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Martanio

Debian Linux and Yahoo Messenger

Hi,

I am very new to Debian Linux and would like to install Yahoo Messenger on my computer. I went to the Yahoo site and downloaded the file but I have no idea what I am doing.

I download the file and then open it. It says

(Reading database... 54734 files and directories currently installed.) Preparing to replace ymessenger 1.0.4_1 (Useing ymessenger_1.0.4_1_i386.deb).... Unpacking replacement ymessenger.... Setting up ymessenger (1.0.4_1)

I don't have any idea how do the third step.

3. Run /usr/bin/ymessenger from X Window to launch the application.

If someone can explain this to me would help a lot!!

Thanks in advance.

If the package installed with no errors at the end, then just go to a console (terminal) and type in /usr/bin/ymessenger, then hit the enter key.

Or, go to start--->run command

and type the same command in the command space.

I have run the command /bin/usr/ymessenger. But I get this error :

Segmentation error.

What should I do?

If you just want to chat with peeps on yahoo, or aim, or any other IM protocol I would install gaim it's a nice multi protocol IM client. To install in software in debian just open up a terminal type su root <enter your root passwd and hit enter> type apt-get install gaim and teh rest is done for you. While your at it if you don't have it already get synaptic, same deal apt-get install synaptic. then you can use synaptic to install virtually any debian pkg known to man. If this is no good and you have your heart set on using ymessenger I'll take a look to see if I can get it going and write up a tutorial for you. Let me know how you make out.