Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Philipp

Forum upgrade is coming

A new forum upgrade is coming. I replace phpBB shortly with my own message board application.

Here two screenshots:

stforums1.png

stforums2.png

The new forum is fully integrated in the main site and have some new features like the possibility to mark a post as answer. However, some features such as who's online are missing in the current version.

Yes, the new message forum is part of Storyteller CMS 1.6 which was released last week smile

Just a quick note that the search function is currently not working because the search index is missing. I will reindex the search index tomorrow morning.

Originally posted by Philipp:

Quote:
A new forum upgrade is coming. I replace phpBB shortly with my own message board application.

The new forum is fully integrated in the main site and have some new features like the possibility to mark a post as answer. However, some features such as who's online are missing in the current version.

Can I please have my "View new threads since last visit" link back?

smile

Philip, I received the following error message when attempting to reply to a post.

Error: 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 's 56k dialup, help networkers!!!', forum_lastposter = 'jmmijo',

Originally posted by clutch:

Quote:
Can I please have my "View new threads since last visit" link back?

smile

This option is on my do list and will return with the next major update.

Originally posted by jmmijo:

Quote:
Philip, I received the following error message when attempting to reply to a post.

Error: 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 's 56k dialup, help networkers!!!', forum_lastposter = 'jmmijo',

Fixed

Here a list of the functions:

profile.png View the profile

solved.png Mark this topic as solution (topic starter only)

quote.png Reply with quote to this post

edit.png Edit this post

delete.png Delete this post (admin only)

I will put up a small forum FAQ/guide later

I liked the "View unread posts" feature of the old board. Is it possible to get that feature back?

Also, whenever I come back to the site, I am not logged in.

Originally posted by felix:

Quote:
I liked the "View unread posts" feature of the old board. Is it possible to get that feature back?

Something similar is planned for the next major update

Quote:
Also, whenever I come back to the site, I am not logged in.

Which browser are you using? Please check your cookie settings. It seems like that the login cookie gets deleted.

Originally posted by AlecStaar:

Quote:
1.) Cookies... do we HAVE to have it use them?

(The old board let me submit the password from Opera & FireFox w/out having to take a cookie, can this one do the same?)

2.) Who's online: Can you implement this type of feature as well?? The old board had that, I liked it... it let me keep in touch w/ folks I am corresponding with in a thread, email, OR pm.

3.) Bold/Unbold tags... can you get these working in thread postings???

1.) & 2.) perhaps in the next major update. However, cookies are overall safer that sessions.

3.) Already there: [ b ] ... [ /b ] (without the spaces)

Originally posted by jerry atrik:

Quote:
i miss my "view posts since last visit" button

i cant find it

If you scroll up, you'll see my post, and then Felix's repost of that same question. It will come in a later release.

Phillip,

I've got to say that I'm liking the "View Active Threads" options. It's great as you can see more than just the lastest posts. It's also handy if you have a cookie problem or accidentally close your browser as there's no session based reset, just a server based time frame.

The colour scheme reminds me quiet a bit of DosShell from Dos6.2, that would be my only concern. smile

Also, in the post title bar you have the author name eg "felix". What's the chance of getting "felix, senior member, 1234 posts, location" ?

Phillip,

I guess the main factor determining if people actually like the new system is whether PPD (post per day) and the rate of new user registration has gone up or down. How are the usage rates. I've seen a few new names recently.

I like the system as it is, especially how accessable you are about changing stuff like this "There are 33 news stories and 8 forum topics since your last visit." Same as the old "view unread posts:.

Really what people seem to be rebelling against is the lack of pretty buttons and rounded, animated GIFs. If you actually look over the forum, there are not really that many operational differences as far as users go. I reckon that if you skinned the interface with s3xy looking rounded buttons and smooth lines, nobody would tell the difference.

F

Quote:
Phillip,

I guess the main factor determining if people actually like the new system is whether PPD (post per day) and the rate of new user registration has gone up or down. How are the usage rates. I've seen a few new names recently.

I like the system as it is, especially how accessable you are about changing stuff like this "There are 33 news stories and 8 forum topics since your last visit." Same as the old "view unread posts:.

Really what people seem to be rebelling against is the lack of pretty buttons and rounded, animated GIFs. If you actually look over the forum, there are not really that many operational differences as far as users go. I reckon that if you skinned the interface with s3xy looking rounded buttons and smooth lines, nobody would tell the difference.

F

The new news stories and posts thing just started today, and I wanted to say that it's appreciated. Now, what I still miss is the icons only being a different color when you haven't read the post. That was very cool. I am not a fan of them being color coded by time passed since the post came up, as it just highlights posts that I have already been through, but does not be finding the most recent ones any easier (I can come by 6-10 times per day at times). Having the newly added portion is nicer, and does help negate the loss of the icon coloring. The combination of the two would be awesome though.

Originally posted by clutch:

Quote:
Now, what I still miss is the icons only being a different color when you haven't read the post.

Done smile