Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
homer_09

Need suggestion for optimal network setup

I have a relatively limited knowledge of networking but extensive knowledge in most other aspects of computers. From this, i know that a method that works, is usually not the best one. I need advice on finding the best method for my business network.

Here is a list of the hardware i have:

- 4 computers with 10/100 mbps NIC and windows 2000 prof.

- 1 server (733 mhz dual pent III) with 40 gig, and 2 x 20 gig HDs, 2 x 10/100 mbps NIC, and windows 2000 server

- 1 external ETHERNET/USB modem for ADSL with dynamic IP PPPoE internet access.

- 2 10/100 mbps switches (5 ports each)

- 1 hp deskjet printer, 1 canon scanner

- of course, lots of cat 5 cable

Here is what i need from this network:

- every computer needs internet access

- every computer must have access to shared folders located on the server's hard drives.

- every computer must have access to printer, and possibly scanner

- possibility to expand network to 5 computers

- some form of security and firewall protection

- best speed performance

How the network is setup now:

- 4 computers connected to 1 switch, switch is then connected to second switch is connected to the server

- dsl modem connected directly to server

- printer connected to one of 4 computers

- active directory set up

- isa

one of things im thinking of doing: mirror the 20 gig HDs for some form of backup in case of failure since the 40 gigs are not necessary, only about 10 gigs.

any other suggestions, especially firewall wise?

thanks

You seem to have it all figured out already.

The little I can add is as follows:

1)Get a router modem, the performance is better and net access for the rest of the machines isnt dependent on the server being up.

2)Get a Firewall <netgear FVS318> you will cry buckets in the future if you dont.

3)Put your printer on the server. It ill diminish the load on your workstation (okay its not much of a load but its something)

4)As far as you are concerned you cant network a scanne, they need to be bound to a machine (...there are ways around it but they are fiddly and messy options)

5)Load DHCP on your win2k server

The rest of my words might sound flippant but thats not intetional I assure you..

If you want active dirs just set it up. Do you need step by step instructions?

If you want a 5th machine, just plug it into your switch !!

Its a s easy as pei (I mean pie !)

Map a drive to your shared folders if you want them, thats probably the easiest thing to do !!

Question,

You recommend loading DHCP on the W2K server, I was just wondering why ? Is have the DHCP server on the the windows box better than the having it on the firewall hardware box ?

Les

It dosnt really matter where you have the DHCP service loaded. I actually have my firewall as my DHCP server. Its always best to have it on a macine that is not likely to be touched by a user. The more hands that touch a machine the more likly it is that it will shut down for some reason and the service will be lost.

For the printer get yourself an HP JetDirect print server. There are USB and parallel varieties. Then your printer has it's own IP and isn't dependant on any other computers being powered on.

The Netgear FVS318 is definitely the way to go.