Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ConQueso

Power supply internal plug question

Know of that 5 or 6 wire wide plug coming out of many power supplies that isn't used often? I was wondering where I could get a PS that has 2 of those that would work with an incredibly old school motherboard that has only two of these for a power attachment to the PS. Or for info if I could splice wires from the standard ATX mobo power plug to the remaining plug.

Get an AT PSU. I know exactly what your talking about, and I'm not sure if that would work (at least without changing the wires around possibly).

You've got an AT board, so it's easier to get an AT PSU than hack up an ATX PSU to make it work on an AT board.

Look around, as you might be able to find an ATX->AT power lead converter, but off the top of my head, I know I've just seen 'em around town only.

No go. The "old" connector on the ATX 12V psu's is used for 5V and 3,3V.

So pluging it into an old mobo would not be a good idea.

I throw away my AT supplies so they must be chaeap as hell.

Hmm... The computer's pretty old, wasn't looking to put money into it really. (except for the cost of some splices or a simple adaptor). I've got an old 300W power supply sitting around doing nothing I could use...

Thanks for the advice. I'll check the local shops for the adaptor.

Hi Alec!

It's a while since a saw a post from you.

I'll have to throw a lot more old stuff away, cos my room is filled up with computers. I really don't need more than 4 computers and I have at least 10 of them. Most of them old AT's and they're just taking up space so I had and I'm going to have to get rid of some. Nobody wants to buy this stuff not even for 1€. laugh

But there's one old 486 i'm gonna keep. it's a amd 5x86 133 OC-ed to 166 or 160 can't remember, but it's good for playing some old games. Still have a voodoo1 laying around somewhere, but no time really to play those games.

Sorry for the off-topic post I guess I got carried away 8)