Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BluewookieJim

ACPI error Windows 2000 preventing normal startup

Hi all.

I've been searching the forums here and didn't find anything that quite matched what I'm experiencing.

I have an Asus P2B motherboard, Rev. 1.04, running the 1014 beta 003 Bios.

The error I am getting is a blue screen, that reads something along these lines... "ACPI Bios not fully compatible with ACPI specifications..."

I've had a dual boot setup on this machine for ages (win98/win 2000) on separate hard drives. Recently something happened that I am no longer able to boot normally into Win2000. I've been running these BIOS for at least 4 months.

The first time I noticed this was earlier this week. I was able to boot using "last known good" and got back in, I saw something quickly install (like found new hardware dialog) and have not been able to get in since. I was able to get in through safe mode, but no matter what I changed I couldn't boot normally.

I tried reinstalling, but I hit the same error early on in the GUI part of the install.

Any help would be appreciated.

It's not a virus.

before I decided to reinstall I was able to boot into safe mode with networking under windows 2003, it was just right before the Ctrl-Alt-Del in normal mode that it would blue screen.

When I tried reinstalling last night, a new installation on a fresh partition, I got into the graphical part of the installation, but before any of the 'choose your options' stuff came up is where it blue screened, probably while detecting the hardware/bios.

I've read elsewhere about pressing F7 when the text mode of the installation is showing the "Press F6 for scsi controllers" part, but I have not seen it hit that part of the install.

I may be a little late but you might try resetting the bios to defaults and see if you can boot, the ACPI error is most likely due to aggresive memory timings or overclocking. If you are successful you can then tweak your bios settings.

Hope that helps somebody.

I had the same problem. I was recording music through my M-Audio Delta 1010LT when it froze (It had worked great for the past 6 months). I rebooted and got the blue STOP screen. This is how I resolved it:

First, look up the error, "STOP 0x000000A5", on Microsoft support. It is "Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 256841", available from the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=256841

Look up the first parameter following the "STOP 0x000000A5" on this page and it will tell you the reason for the error.

In my situation the problem had nothing to do with the ACPI. Parameter 1 was "1003 - A device is present in the system for which there is no entry in the IRQ routing table."

I only had a video card and the 1010LT installed. Since the 1010LT froze, I powered down and removed it. The system booted normally. Then I reinstalled the card and everything is working fine now.

I assume there was some kind of glitch that affected the IRQ system. Unfortunately, the Windows 2000 message is not very helpful in this situation.

Good luck!