Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shassouneh

An Interesting Problem (Ghosting form one machine to another

Hello All,

I have an interesting problem for the gurus out there. I have a machine set up with all the software I could possibly ever need. The installed size is roughly 12.4GB. I wish to transfer all of this onto a different machine in one easy go. I have tried Norton ghost, but on the other machine it simply gives a blue screen (due to a different hardware set).

Can anyone offer any insights on hwo this can be done?

NOTE: All software has proper licenses to run on more than one machine. I just want to save the time and headache of installig everything manually on the other machine.

I do it like this. After I ghost i boot from the windows cd and repair the existing installation.

It works and the system is stable. Have tried it 2 times with the same installation. First it was an intel bx chipset /w celeron , then a via chipset /w a p3 and now it's a celeron 2.4 on i845.

The only problem I encountered was that the system sometimes hangs when trying to hibernate. Apart from that it was rock-solid.

Dear Tomay,

Your trick didn't work. I did as you said, and repaired the installation, but all that did was the next time I tried to boot is I was presented with Windows XP setup, and had to pretty much re innstall the OS. Also, in the setup, I get an error message that says "unregmp2.exe - Entry Point Not Found. The procedure entry point GetIUMS could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL"

HELP!

I dunno. But now I "somehow" went through the entire setup and now it weants me to acticate windows, but won't accept my activation. Weird. Looks Like I might have to set up form scratch

It is wpa then.

The hardware configuration is too different from the last machine.

TBH, I only do a ghost of a machine that the image will go back onto. I usually format and reapply the image every six months (spring clean). It would seem that Tomay has and is using a VLK, which would apply to any spec pc.

Thanx for the insight. I am installign from scratch right now, and trying to figure out why the standby feature/hibernation feature (its a laptop) will not work using XP home that was supplied with the laptop

I haven't had many dealings with laptops, but I seem to remember there was an update released that concernec laptops Xp and hibernation. Maybe a windows update will sort it.

I have been trying Windows Update all day today but it has been incredibly slow, so I am gonna wait for a few hours/minutes till network traffic eases off a bit

Quote:
Dear Tomay,
Your trick didn't work. I did as you said, and repaired the installation, but all that did was the next time I tried to boot is I was presented with Windows XP setup, and had to pretty much re innstall the OS. Also, in the setup, I get an error message that says "unregmp2.exe - Entry Point Not Found. The procedure entry point GetIUMS could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL"

HELP!

No idea! It worked for me. I'm using winxp pro sp1 (no other updates except for the worm blast fix)

From what I understand you have to run sysprep on the image before you can even ghost to another machine. What this does is removes yo sid so you don't run into that blue screen on the other machine.

Originally posted by shassouneh:

Quote:
Hello All,

I have an interesting problem for the gurus out there. I have a machine set up with all the software I could possibly ever need. The installed size is roughly 12.4GB. I wish to transfer all of this onto a different machine in one easy go. I have tried Norton ghost, but on the other machine it simply gives a blue screen (due to a different hardware set).

Can anyone offer any insights on hwo this can be done?

NOTE: All software has proper licenses to run on more than one machine. I just want to save the time and headache of installig everything manually on the other machine.