Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zen69x

Terminal Services on Win2k Pro. It is possible.

Yeah, with XP out, probably a bit late for most, but it can be done nonetheless. Also, no direct console access, but you do get to use console plus 2 remote connections.

D0sfreak, you have mail with a list of the files and the .reg file too.

I am unable to host the actual files right now and the lists of the files themselves are quite long. However, I'm sure someone will help me out with that.

The whole of it weighs in about 7MB, though can be made smaller if I care to wade through it to eliminate some redundancy.

Here are some basics of what is required:

There are 124 files that I manually copied into subdirectories under the WINNT folder.

At that point, I go to the control panel and install windows components and select terminal services (I did not bother with client files).

It looks to install some files from the Windows CD, I have copied 110 files from the CD for this, some of them are duplicates from the files I have already manually copied.

After the installation and before rebooting, I go to regedt32 and give my account full control of the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root key, you can remove this later, and then run a 36KB .reg file.

At this point, I rebooted, I was trying to see if I could get around messing with that product option key, but alas this was not meant to be.

So, using the backup software that comes with Win2k, I created a repair disk and chose to also copy the registry data. This will reside in the \winnt\repair\regback directory. If you use regedt32 and load the system hive from this directory, you can drill down to HKLM\System\ControlSet001\ProductOptions\ProductSuite key and you can type in Terminal Server.

From here it is a quick reboot into the recovery console, copy the system file from \winnt\repair\regback to \winnt\system32\config and reboot.

At this point, you now have terminal services installed in remote admin mode.

If anyone is interested, I can send directions in e-mail as I will need to attach a file or two. If your e-mail isn't in your profile, please post it or send it to me and I will forward them to you.

The whole list is a bit much to post here.

Alright! Just read your earlier email about the .reg edits whereas your other method is much simpler. I'd still like to be able to deploy with SMS or some other procedure to push out.....but there is the licensing issue....oh well. frown

Hmmm, 2003 Server RD on XP Pro? heh.

as far as 2003 server RD on XP, I think someone sells a solution to do this.

I've noticed that in XP, the product suite key does not read terminal server, not sure if that has anything to do w/ the 1 connection limitation however.

As for the licensing issue, it will come up and say this when you try to edit the product suite key manually, however when you use the install method, Microsoft is nice enough to do this for you, does that still count? :P

I would very much like to get the email with the files needed for TS in win2kpro.

Thanx in advance!

/Pelle

Haven't been able to respond for a few days, but those who have requested the info, it has been sent.

Oh, this would be awesome, can I get a copy as well? jason@pneudraulics.com would be great.

Thanks so much! I have been trying to figure this out all day!

Jason

Can someone who got the files please drop them to me on email? I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Jason

jasongw, I've sent you the files.

Also, an update. On Microsoft's website you can find a "hotfix" for file copying through Win2k's Terminal Services. If you open this up with something like Winrar, you can extract the files and then manually, or integrate it into the the install CD, install the server side portion. The client end, only the client that comes with 2k can do this, can be updated to use the file copy through the clipboard functionality as well. This works great over the internet too, but I wouldn't recommend using it for anything too large as you can't do too much else while waiting for it to copy over.

hi, i am also interested ...it would be great if you could send me

the info also Thanks

Jasbo,

I'd need an e-mail address to send you the information.

Hello!

I'm also interested, please send me a mail on z_z15@hotmail.com with instructions smile.

zen69x, hehe sorry, i thought my email was in my profile...doh

here it is andy@humpa.com thanks again

Hello Zen69x

Could you send instructions to me too.

Thanks in advance

borut.zorc@email.si

Please follow this link http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=12009443&m=151003605631.

I have finally just gone and posted the whole of the instructions there. I did it in three replies to try to make is easier to read. If this is useful to you, sent me an e-mail or something and let me know. Of course if you have a problem with it, you can let me know that too and I'll try to help you out with it.

Thanks.

Hello!

I'm also interested, please send me a mail with instructions on vakornev@rambler.mu

Can somebody send me those instructions as well?

john(remove)@johnmurphy.ca

It would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Alec§taar:

Quote:
Must have been ALOT of work/research/testing on his end to make it happen

It was. I can't remember if I started it or he did since it was so long ago. All I really remember is we were working on it a looooonng time ago back at Ars and then I gave up because I was busy doing other things and then moving and taking on other projects. Imagine my suprise when he posted this topic earlier this year and that he actually remembered me. WOW! HE ACTUALLY DID IT! Then he gets a ton of postings on "Why would someone do this" or the obvious "You can't do that because of legal reasons....so why bother?". It's sad that overall the modification of Windows OS's by enthusiasts has significantly decreased ever since the introduction of Windows 95....not because the need is no longer there...more because of a "Why bother?" attitude.