Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shakedown

SNMP "set community name" on HP JetDirect card

I have a situation where I inherited support for an HP LJ 8100DN printer. I would like to upgrade the firware on the JetDirect card (J3113A) but the last admin set a community name and did not give it to me. I have had the printer unplugged for more than a week, but it's embedded in the settings.

Does anyone know how I can reset/delete the name without knowing it?

I have installed HP WebJetAdmin 7.2, but in order to change/reset the name I need to know the old name.

Any help is appreciated.

You could attempt a 'cold reset' on the printer which should put back all of the printers settings to their factory default (including the JetDirect card if I remember correctly).

With the 8000 series you can do this by holding down the 'online' button whilst powering up the unit. A message should tell you that it is clearing the settings.

You can then print off a test/config sheet which will tell you the new IP address the printer assigns itself (I am assuming that your network allocates IPs automatically) then you are good to go. HP Web JetAdmin should recognise the unit as a 'new' printer.

Hope this helps you.

Ross,

You are the man!!!

In the menu there is a reset factory settings, but that does nothing!!

Just for future reference, and so no one says they can't find the 'online' button, on the 8100 it's the 'GO' button.

Everytime I use this board I am amazed at the knowledge and helpfullness. I searched the HP website and Google and could not find this anywhere. I don't have a manual and it doesn't say anything in te FAQs.

Glad to hear you got it sorted. smile

I had to do exactly the same thing for a number of LaserJets at our workplace and learnt about the resetting 'trick' by accident, lol.

Be careful with the firmware upgrade though. The whole flashing process in WebAdmin seems to be a little bit flakey and I managed to end up with a JetDirect card part flashed and couldn't bring it back to life (regardless of what was being said on HP's support forum).

I could only assume that something happened whilst it was being transmitted over the network so make sure you do it when there is minimal traffic.