Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Marker0077

Permiting other users access to resources...

I have a LAN system with 2 user accounts on each PC. 1 is an admin account, the other is a restricted user account.

I want to be able to allow the clients access to the resources shared via the server, however, I have guest disabled because I only want authorized computers to have access to the servers resources. I have tried setting up accounts on the server but it still isn't permitting access to the resources. The server is Win2k & the clients are WinXP.

Now I know it has something to do with the "Security" tab of the folder. I permit IBM Aptiva full control via the "Security" & "Share Permissions" tabs & it doesn't permit it, however, if I permit "Everyone" full control in the "Security", it allows the connection but I DO NOT want to permit everyone access into the resources or the locally on the workstation.

Also, I do permit "Administrator" & "System" full control of the resource, it still won't work without permitting "Everyone".

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or at least what it is I need to do to accomplish permitting authorized users only to the servers resources?

Thanks for your time.

If you are in workgroup mode, you need both systems to have the same account and password, and it would help if they are in the same workgroup. What happens is your client is hitting the server up with guest credentials by default, and thus getting denied since you don't have that account enabled (and with good reason). This thread can explain it a bit more:

http://www.ntcompatible.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26664&highlight=guest+account

What you are looking to do is much easier if you were using Active Directory, and made the XP box a member of its forest/domain.

What's Active Directory? If it's another program to download & install then I'm not interested. The server is a 100mhz, I'm not having anything take up more resources. The clockspeed on this ancient thing is bad enough.

Either way though, I don't understand why you are bringing up the guest account (to answer your question though, this is all in the same workgroup). I can get it working with guest disabled - that's not the problem, the problem here is in the "Security" section...

The server is "Intel 6x86" & the client is "IBM Aptiva" (the restricted user accounts are by model &/or brand name, admin accounts are named admin). In the "Security" section of the resource I am working with on the Intel, I am permitting 4 accounts...

#1) Administrator

#2) Intel 6x86

#3) SYSTEM

#4) IBM Aptiva

& this connection DOES NOT work, however, if I add "Everyone" to the Security, it works fine (the client is obviously using the "IBM Aptiva" account).

I do not want to be permitting "Everyone" access to this resource or any other. I don't see what "Everyone" is providing that is not already covered.

Also, if this was a login problem, why wouldn't a login screen be prompted on the client workstation? The user/pass is exactly the same on the server & client, so I'm thinking that this is not the problem.

Any ideas?

As always, thanks for your time.

After I got some sleep I was able to figure this out pretty easily. I needed to add "NETWORK" into "Security". Thanks for your time anyways.