Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Grendelmk1

Freespace 2 control issue

Got Freespace 2 installed and running smooth like glass. Only one problem: it doesn't recognize when I hold a key down. When I try to use the afterburners, they "click" on and off, as though I'd merely tapped the key. I've remapped to several different controls (on my keyboard, my Nostromo n50, and my Wingman 3d pro) with no luck.

I've successfully done the first 2 missions with no burners, and have no other issues. But, I know damn well I'll need them burners later!

System:

P4 2.8, 512 ddr400 ram

Nvidia geforce 2 mx400 (latest drivers)

SB live basic (drivers updated)

W2K, sp4

Hi,

I've had this exact problem when I've had multiple gaming devices hooked up. Specifically I had it happen with the Nostromo speedpad N50.

Try disconnecting all gaming devices and using the keyboard. Then, if it works, try just hooking up one of the gaming devices. It worked for me (I couldn't have the Nostromo hooked up with the sidewinder strategic commander).

Good thought, but it unfortunately didn't work, unless it's my keyboard (didn't unplug that, kinda need it).

Forgot to mention, the briefings are borked, as well. I can only see the first section of each briefing. Fighter selection/loadout works fine. Also, it's a full install. (Dunno if that makes a difference for the briefing, eh?)

i use the mouse and the top gun joystick.

i use the burner on the middle mouse button..no probs.

I hate to bring back old threads but I'm having the exact same problem and this is the ONLY forum I've seen it mentioned... actually it's the only place on-line I've seen it mentioned.

So either this is an extremely rare issue or it's something SO OBVIOUS that everyone else doesn't seem to think it's worth mentioning.

Here's MY description of the problem:

When I hit TAB (or any other key/button I assign to afterburner) I hear the same sound effect that plays when the afterburner runs out (ya know, that sneeze type sound). But the afterburner bar is full. What's even weirder is that the throttle is pushed to max and stays at max as long as I'm holding down the afterburner key, but no afterburner.

Well my specs are:

Processor, memory, mobo, blah blah (dont think any of these matter)

Specs that might be related to the issue:

- Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner Force Feedback controller

and

- Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard 1.0A

- WinXP SP1 (all updates installed from Windows Update site)

===========

The game used to run fine (afterburner worked) on my older PC -

A P3 (733) with WinXP SP1 and a cheap brandless joystick.

So what do you guys think? Seen anything like this before?

Ok you guys are lucky because I was getting very frustrated by all the red tape on this site to post a damn message that I was about to say F%ck it.

All you have to do is make a shortcut to the freespace launcher. On this shortcut you will need to go to the properties (right click on it), then go to the compatibility tab and set it for windows 98. I think I explained that well enough, oh ya, make sure you click apply, not X =). Don't mean to sound demeaning, but trust me, some people would not know their keyboard from a pair of... well you know the rest. Anyways just start the game after you do that from that very same shortcut and problem solved! Congratulations, now go blow some sh&t up.