Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Curley_Boy

Cannot install hotfixes

This is really starting to annoy me.

I simply cannot install the hotfixes being offer my MS onto my XP system.

Either from with Windows Update site or by downloading the hotfixes manually and apply them. I even tried extracting the files and overighting the flawed componants using the recovery console (but that just rendered the machine unbootable).

I don't know how it's happened but somehow I suspect the OS thinks the patches have been applied (incorrect entry in the registry or from a file in the Uninstall Information or Windows Updates folders in Program Files?)

When the patches install I get a confirmation message and a reboot prompt, and a sucess notification in the event log, but when I check the file versions on my system against those on the security bulletins, it is obvious the patches have NOT been applied.

I just don't know what else to do! Can somebody offer me a way to clean out my Hotfix/Windows update history (or something simlar) so that I can FORCE these damned things to install plz. It doesn't matter if I lose my update history as I have manually kept a list of hotfixes applied and those I have workarounds for.

I am have problems specifically with MS04-007 (and the two previous revisions for IE6 SP1 (MS04-004 and MS03-048)

In addition the WMP9 MS03-021 patch will not apply.

Thankyou

Windows XP Pro SP1 (with all relavent hotfixes that the PC will accept! :P)

P.S. WFP is disabled on the computer in question, is this a potential problem in this specific case?

I had the same issue with a cracked XP. if that is the case, you better find another OS!!! :x

I have the same problem! And I'm running a brand-new, legal, expensive, clean-installed copy of XP Professional - because I thought the problems were caused by my previous - er, gift copy x)

It downloads the updates but won't install them. I've followed microsoft's advice to re-run various install executables, restarted endless ****** times when prompted ..... and the darn thing just hangs when it comes to installing. Also seems to be blocking updates for other programs, although I've reduced security to a pathetic minimum.

I've used 4 different programs to check I'm not harbouring a bug. What to do now????!!!!!

? frown