Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gonzo90017

Pure3d on XP Driver HELP

I downloaded the drivers from the download page to use my Canopus Pure3d card on Windows XP. I unzipped it and installed the file. It then asks me to restart my computer but when I do I have no idea if the drivers where installed since it gives me no indication as to what directory it puts them in. Can somebody pleeeeeease help me? What am I doing wrong frown

You're not doing anything wrong, the archive was most likely a self extracting, self launching install so when it finished copying the files needed for up[censored] it needed you to restart the machine for proper initialization of said device drivers.

Not all drivers have a nice little, redundant systray icon to look at and in fact these are really not neccessary so to check what you currently have installed then get the display properties open and check the file details and see what the date and version/revision of these drivers are and compare them to what you d/l from the net smile

You're exactly right. It was a self extracting file. The problem is that my Video Accelerator card is still not recognized by XP even though the drivers are installed. So i'm wondering how other people use there old video cards or are they still functional even though they have the dreaded ? mark in the device manager section?

Well that is a good question, let me try to answer this for you:

Many older graphics cards, including the one you have, the Canopus Pure 3D, are supported mainly by integrated OS drivers. What this means is that there is a device driver that should support this device that comes with the OS itself.

Now since this card is a 3D graphics card only, it's based on the old 3dFX Voodoo 1 chipset, then you should be able to manually choose this driver.

However I just looked at my XP drivers list and didn't notice any listing for any of these types of cards.

I know these drivers are listed in Windows 98/98-SE/ME but I bet Microsoft dropped support for these cards in both Windows 2K/XP frown

I would try out this website for more info on 3rd Party Device Drivers for Windows XP as they do have a number of them that are still being tweaked and fixed for proper operation under XP laugh

Before installing the drivers, you should always go in device manager and check if there's a device with a ? mark that is of the type of the device you're installing, if it's the case, remove it, then install the drivers, then reboot. Sometimes those ? mark items prevent driver installs.