Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Trew

Mysterious ReadOnly attributes

Hi,

weird question. I'm finding files and whole directories locked as "read only" in properties. I haven't assigned them the attribute and I change them back- next time I look they're RO again.

These are just general files, txt, doc, jpg, etc, not system files, btw.

I've noticed this issue when trying to network my machines, but I don't see how that would effect this.

thanks.

Am not sure whether this helps but, when you backup personal files to CDs (using something like Nero or InCD) and then later restore them, they do indeed become Read Only.

It's a well-known feature and can be very annoying if you've backed up LOTS of personal files. I once came upon a little routine to clear that attribute on all such files. However, I didn't keep a record of it.

I've personally learnt to live with this by clearing the Read Only MANUALLY in the Properties of just specific files I want to still work on, and leaving the remainder as Read Only. On the whole, dealing with it this way does no harm and, indeed, those files left as Read Only become less easy to corrupt.

If I can find the info on resetting the Read Only attribute universally, I'll post it here. It involved, I seem to recall, using a DOS prompt 'attribute' string.

You can use attrib *.* -r to remove read only from a directory (from a command prompt). Or attrib *.avi -r to remove read only from all the avi's in a directory for example.. (you can also use +r to make it read only, or +h -h to make it hidden or not hidden, or +s -s to make it a system or non system file)

This however doesn't explain the problem...

Just curious.. what OS and file system are you using?

Hi.

I'm having the same problem. I just finished restoring to factory condition and switching all my files from CD to hard drive. But the problem is, it's not just the files I moved, it's all files and folders. Even my windows folder & files are all set as read-only, I'll clear the check box and click apply. A box will come up, asking if I want to do this for only the folder or all subfolders and files, I'll choose all subfolders and files. I'll hit OK then go back to the properties, and it's read-only still. I don't understand!!

I have windows XP home. Version 2002. Service Pack 1. If that helps any.

I did try going to the command prompt and doing "attrib *.* -r" but it didn't do any good.

Please help me!!!

****UPDATE****

Alrighty, I believe I know what caused the problem.

When I'm using My Computer or Windows Explorer, I like my files displayed as Icons rather than Tiles. I always change the default, go to options, and apply to all folders.

I'm guessing that at the time I did that, I was sitting in a folder that was copied from the CD I put all my files on, therefore when I updated all folders to the same options as the one I was in, it also made all folders and files read-only.

Like I said, I believe and I'm guessing. That's the only logical explanation I can think of right now. ;(

The problem with this is: Even though I (might) know the cause of the problem, I still don't know how to fix it. The attributes won't stay off read-only long enough for me to apply it to all folders. So now, I'm in the process of doing another system restore, because it's the only thing I can think of to do.