Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ofelas

Symantec Corporate 8.x Realtime Protection

Will the first option "Modified (scan on create)" protect me from downloading from the internet & accessing CD/floppy media? It's quite a bit faster than the second option 'Accessed or modified' -

Quote:
There are two options available to determine what file operations Realtime Protection monitors:

Modified Only: Checks for viruses in files that have been created, renamed, or moved. This permits faster performance because the number of file processes that Realtime Protection monitors is limited.

Accessed or Modified: In addition to checks for viruses in files that have been created, renamed, or moved, Realtime Protection checks files that are opened, executed, copied, or saved. This option, the default, provides better protection against viruses at a small resource cost.

Thanks...

It will protect from internet but NOT from floppy, as it isnt being created, it's being accessed.

Unless you copy the contents before you open it...

Thanks; so I guess double clicking an executable on a floppy diskette would leave me unprotected?

That's right, run from cd rom or floppy and get burned.\

here is what you do. you need "eicar"

It is a fake virus file made for testing antivirus software. All antivirus will detect it as a virus, but it really is safe and was created for testing. pretty cool. Grab it here.

http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

(If you read the maual that comes with sav 8, it has a link to this site as well, that's how I fouind about it)