Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
battermoose1

samsung sd612 dvd-rom will not plat dvd's since xp upgrade

;(since I have upgraded I cannot play any dvd's-I have tried numerous soft ware players an they all do the same thing. the unit attempts to spin up but quits and continues to try again any ideas?????

weird?! have you checked the driver? does it play cds ok? can you explore the cd?

have you downloaded the dvd codec (divX)?

Besides the latest DVD codecs, make sure you have the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard running under XP also it wouldn't hurt to check for the latest graphics card drivers and DX9.0b as well wink

Quote:
weird?! have you checked the driver? does it play cds ok? can you explore the cd?

have you downloaded the dvd codec (divX)?
All of the music cd's play fine and I can display contents of the cd's fine. I have loaded the latest driver for the video card (ati Catalist 9000 pro). Samsung no longer supports the dvd Thanks.

Quote:
Besides the latest DVD codecs, make sure you have the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard running under XP also it wouldn't hurt to check for the latest graphics card drivers and DX9.0b as well wink
I know I have the latest graphic card drivers (catalist 4) and direct x 9.0 but not sure about the chip set drivers. thanks...

If up[censored] the chipset drivers doesn't help then do you have another machine you could install this drive into and test it out there, just to see if the same thing occurs or not.

Basically if it works in another machine it sounds like your current machine doesn't have any dvd codecs installed like DivX or one of the commercial players like PowerDVD or WinDVD installed.

;( Thank you to all that helped with my dvd problem. I tried most of what everone suggested but to no avail, so I purchases and installed a new liteon dvd rom for an inexpensive price and all is well. The only thing that i can figure is that this samsung dvd is not compatable with xp and since it is an older model at 12x they didnt bother to create firmware to upgrade it. To all thanks again. I will take the unit and put it in an other machine that is still using me and see if it works.

I have exactly the same problem.

I've tried everything.

After installing XP Pro SP1 my Samsung DVD ROM SD-616F just refuses to play DVDs.

It'll play music CDs without a problem but it just won't have a bar of any DVD - I'm using PowerDVD XP 4.0 with the lastest patch installed.

The drive was working just fine under W2K before I did a fresh install of XP to a different drive.

Since then I've upgraded to the latest firmware. I've uninstalled the thing, gone through the registry and deleted any references to it (there was one under Local Machine\System\ControlSet002\Enum\IDE that it wouldn't let me delete), then I shutdown, unplugged the thing and rebooted a couple of times without it connected.

After doing all this I then reconnected it, Windows found it again but it still refuses to play DVDs.

This seems to be a common problem from what I can see but I have been unable to find a difinitive answer.

Can anyone out there help - this is driving me batshit.

Revhead, I know what you are going thru, My solution was to buy a new dvd rom and install it, I saved the other(samsung 612b ) and am going to try it in a machine that is still using windows me. I will let every one interested know the outcome in a couple of weeks.

That is interesting. I have samsung DVD roms but they are 16x.

you guys mean you can't even see the files on the DVD disk either? You mean it acts like a normal CDROM with no DVD capability? laugh

that is wired! :x

Hi All,

I've got the same problem of my Samsung SD612 not playing/reading DVDs, but I'm using Windows 2000.

I think it may have happened when I installed Office XP and so I don't think it's necessarily WindowsXP that causes the problem.

Anyone come across this?

Baz

I have a samsung SD612 running on ME and the same thing is happening. It also doesn't read anything on a burned cd as well. I am in the process of upgrading my windows to 2000 Pro.

italic text

bold text

I believe what is happening is that Microsoft wants us to pay another $80.00 or so to have permission, back, to use our dvd's and cd-writers. I had Windows Me. Which is a distaster within itself. My CD writer worked fine and I could play everything and anything on the dvd player. So, I upgraded to XP Home, expecting that I installed a more intelligent program. Now, suddenly, none of the above mentioned works and if I want it to work, I need to fork out another $80.00. Does anyone know if I can reinstall my old dvd programs from my Windows Me?

To all who have this drive

Since samsung has took this and many many other products off its technical support list it will not work under WinXp Home or Pro there is a little thing some one made that upgrades this to firmware .06 but i have yet to try it it may work but then again it may not if u want it it is at Driversguide.com i too have this drive and i hate not being able to play dvds since i did get this drive when it 1st came out for $119 but thanks to "Smart cost lowering thinking" they will not help any of us stuck with there lackstar drive. ;(

I hate to tell you this but I have a Samsung SD-612 in a windows XP Pro machine and can watch DVD's.

Now the reason I found this site.

I was looking for drivers for this DVD drive. I am running on the windows XP driver. I got this from a friend the other day and put it in my machine. XP found it loaded drivers for it and I watched a movie. I was thinking I should put the 612 driver in, but now I may just let it alone.

Compaq 400 AMD K6-2

running XP Pro SP1 (had nothing but troubles on my other

puters with SP2 so I did not install

SP2 on this puter)

256Megs Ram

I use WinDVD4 as my viewing program.

Good Luck and I hope this may help in some way.

I went to Samsung's site and upgraded the firmware on my SD-612B to the lastest SD-612B firmware available. While flashing the firmware it said this drive does not support DMA. Setting it to PIO only in device manager as was mentioned in one of the other related threads solved the problem. Not sure if flashing the firmware was needed or not, but I'm just finally glad this drive works in XP.

If you're not sure what version of the SD-612 you have (B F or S), there is a sticker on the bottom of the drive that will tell you.

my drive works with dma on win xp pro sp2

povider b.h.a co., Ltd version 1.07

microsoft version 5.1.2535.0 7/01/2001