Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
XkwiSit

buying w2003 server, not sure which version

don't know idf anyone can point me in the right direction but i'm not sure which version of windows 2003 server to buy.

I am hosting co-lo with a hosting company and need to be able to run IIS SQL, coldfusion, asp, .net, php. plus i'd like to be able to remotely administer it as it's miles away.

i am worried about certin versions saying that they are not domain controllers, not entirely sure this matters but i want to be able to have domains and sub domains for hosted web sites e.g. subdomain.maindomain.com etc..

I'm not expecting anyone to be able to answer this completly but a point in the right direction would be great, thanks.

I'll let someone who knows more tell you about the various versions, but I want to quickly clarify the domain thing. Being a domain controller means that it can be the central authority of a Windows domain. Nowadays, Windows domains are typically associated with an internet domain as well, but the reverse is not necessary. You can host as many internet domains and subdomains as you want without ever dealing with domain controllers, active directory, etc.

THe only version that cannot Be a Domain Controller is the Web edition.

Small business edition is great for up to 75 users, and is considerably cheaper.

Standard is good for a small company, enterprise good for a large company, and datacenter is over kill

If your company has less then 75 users and isnt expected to go past that many users, I'd go small business edition.

WIth any windows version you can make up your own domain, or host a website, either way.

Ok, great thanks very much for the info.

sapiens, you seem quite set in small b'ness ed....

Is this your choice knowing that it is the OS of the server simply for hosting web sites (possibly lots of them), not actually for any regualar office type connectivity (disregarding the fact that i'd like to be able to remote admin it).