Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HUGH_SMITH

Cannot Install nvidia display driver

I keep getting this error (ERROR OCCURED WHILE LAUNCHING SETUP 0X80040702 SETUP WILL NOW CLOSE). Now I sit with this stuped look on my face, why me. I am stuck with an old driver now that I deleted my latest driver for the newer one. Can anyone help me.

What mobo, what graphic card?

Try installing the latest chipset drivers (e.g. via 4in1 or intel chipset inf)

Are you trying to install from downloaded drivers from NVidia or are you using Windows Update to install the NVidia drivers ?

And I agree with Tomay, graphic card ? and chipset drivers !

I have Abit KG7mobo, GeForce4ti 4200 128mg,512 mem,1.4 thunderbird,60 g maxtor hd,sound blaster live, Hope this helps, by the way while I was writing this my monitor screen went crazy. It had pixilized into squares, I had to reset the computer to finish writing. This happened a few times in the last couple of months. The 4in1 drivers will not install. Do you think my graphics card is dying, would it not accept new drivers because of this. Im so confused.

It's possible there is a graphics card issue, do you have another one to test this out with ?!?

Basically you just want to see if this graphics problem stays or goes away. If it stays then it's not the graphics card because you've tested out another one. If it goes away then it's most likely an issue with the GeForce card.

I tried both windows update and from the nvidia, site negative results. I do not have another AGP video card to test, I may have to buy another and if it still happens then when I fix the problem I will have 2 cards, one for when the other dies. Anyway I also have Spybot S/D, I ran a sytem check do you think I could have deleted some Important files.

It's possible that some system file(s) are bad/corrupted now, however this usually gives you other problems then just the random corrupted graphics on your screen.

One thing to look at on the GeForce 4 card is the cooling fan, is this working or not. If the fan is not spinning this could cause the GPU on the card to overheat and cause problems like this too.

Yes the computer, some programs run very slow. My Internet connection(dsl) takes forever to log on, but when your online its fine . The control panel takes a long time to show up and the computer freezes often. This all has been going on for about a week, before that It was fine.

are you abel to do a format and fresh install?

or even a repair of the O/S?

have you tried booting into Safe mode and installing?

frankly to me it sounds like that program delete stuff it should not have.