Compatible Support Forums
Olga

Warhammer 40k Chaos Gate on XP - help?

Hi,

I am truly sorry to bump this topic again but I'm facing a rather frustrating problem : I cannot install Chaos Gate at all, even the DEMO ! I've tried many of the solutions posted here but none of them works for me.(Compatibility checks ,copying on HD,etc...)

I'm using Win Xp Home edition SP2, I hope you can help me, I really miss this game and would like to discover it anew !

Hey guys!! I've got a solution for the "Cultist Crash Bug" (CCB)!

To avoid it : open the scenario editor, then load (where you installed Chaos Gate)/Maps/ for example Chapter1.map. But before you do the editing, click Properties on the file and un-tick the Read Only box. Then in the editor, delete ALL Cultist. You can replace them with Chaos Marines or with Chaos Dreadnoughts for a challenge.

A little help to the editor : - You can delete objects, by right-click on it, then delete/character.

- You can switch levels in the View section

If you can't delete all the Cultist, you better do the WordPad-trick, (Open the Data/WeaponDef.DAT with WordPad (not with NotePad), search for "Laspistol" and rewrite the "AP use 15" to "50" then save.) but be careful! Don't let to any Cultist hit you in close combat!! If any Cultist are near you, shoot them down at first!!

And before you ask : I've installed patch 1.2. I've played the game on 1024x768 resolution(just like the game's resolution) with 16 bit color. Compatibility mode is Win 95. In DirectX diag (Start/Run/dxdiag.exe), I've choose the "No Hardware Acceleration" at Sound Properties. In the Video Card properties, I've choose the "No Hardware Acceleration" too.

I've downloaded the slayerui.dll, but I think it's the worst mistake, that I ever made!! I thought it was for my Win XP to, but it was for Win 2000 only, where there's not compatibility mode in the Properties. Now I can't change to 256 color mode and run program only in 640x480 res. So, if someone can help me delete this wrong .dll, and get the Windows to the normal, I'll thank it!

Oh, and one more thing. In the shortcut Properties/Target I've written -WINCURSOR. Thanks for that.

hello all. I discovered this thread a few days ago and have to say I'm glad there are others as devoted to making this work as I was. I was happy to find some very good tips here and tried them all. I love this game and couldnt believe I couldnt play it when I tried to install it last week. After much frustration at making it work I am glad to say that I finally got it working flawlessly INSIDE windows xp!! yes its possible. I am using microsoft virtual pc with windows 98SE installed. This worked like a charm. I had to try different resolutions and settings but finally have it working. I still enjoy it as much as I did when the game came out. I have tried the most recent 40k games (dawn of war, winter assault, etc.. but do not enjoy them as much as this turn based game. I really hope GW makes a new 40k using this game style. Let me know if anyone would like some specs of my machine, or anything else. this link was very helpful in setting up a win98 virtual pc setup( http://www.roudybob.net/?p=154 ) I am on the tech saavy side so it wasnt too difficult but I could see this being somewhat difficult for the beginner. I'd be more than happy to help in anyway I can. I'm glad there are others who love this game as much as I, good luck.

All,

I just wanted to reply and confirm that I have also been able to successfully install and run Chaos Gate within Virtual PC. I've only tried the first couple of scenarios so far, but it's been running flawlessly.

Virtual PC is available as a free download at Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

As mentioned in previous posts, this link was very helpful in installing a virtual Win98 setup: http://www.roudybob.net/?p=154

Aside from the installation of Virtual PC and the setup of a virtual Win98 session, I haven't had to modify a single thing to get Chaos Gate to run. It installed and ran 'right out of the box' so to speak.

It appears to me that Virtual PC is a pretty elegant and straightforward solution for anyone wanting to run older programs that are not compatible with newer operating systems.

And no, I'm not a salesman for Microsoft!

I'm just happy to be able to play Chaos Gate!!!

Now, excuse me while I go outfit a few Marines and open a can of whoop a$$!!!!

grin

fireship4 (among others) is right:

Simple Solution to the CultistsLaser-bug without any virtual machines:

(O) Install (or move an already installed) Game to C:\CHAOSGTE (or something like that i.e. eight capital letters directly in C:\ )

(O) Download (from http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Galaxy/6777/cgpatch.html) and install the two patches one by one (linking to the directory/file mentioned above)

(O) enjoy the game!! (no need in changing compatibility modes or screen-resolutions/-color depth)

(Works for me. That is: WinXP Pro (SP2 with all updates), DX9c, 7600 Nvidia GPU, Deskop @1280x1024x32b, Game-resolution: 1024x768)

Also tried out Virtual PC 2007 but the native experience is far better than the emulated crap. However I just began playing. Don't know the behaviour of the prog on later missions. Hope it turns out well...)

Wow, I havn't been here for a while.

Anyway,

After installing this onto my own computer (which is a different computer to what I installed this onto as mentioned in my other posts) I can play the game but it runs..............not good. The sound and music keeps on skipping a few seconds ahead occasinaly, infact it does it near constantly.

You know when a guy taunts you, he pauses his animation untill his finihsed speaking - with this skipping sound a unit may say something like "You die by the.........*chaos marine shoots and the speach has allready ended*

In addition to this, the game just crashed randomly (a typical windows XP error message came up - "W40K Chaos Gate has encounted a problem and needs to close...., report error or don't send?"

Further more, any game options I set automaticaly reset after I close the options menu meaning it wont save anything I change.

The first thing I tried to change the was the resolution (displayed by the 3 pixelated blocks at the bottom of the options menu) and then I went back to the options menu as I wanted to turn the music up and thats when I noticed the setting was still at defaults.

So, does anyone want to solve these problems? laugh

System:

2.8ghz dual core processor

2GB DDR RAM (2x512MB)

2x Nvidia 7900GS grapics cards in SLI

Windows XP SP2 home eddition

My chaos gate game is version 1.001

Oh and:

Quote:
(O) Download (from http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Galaxy/6777/cgpatch.html) and install the two patches one by one (linking to the directory/file mentioned above)

Umm, are these patches for Chaos gate or for windows or something else?

I don't like to click a link and download "a patch" when I don't know exactly what it is.

A very easy fix for the cultist issue:

Go to your <game-install>/Data directory

Open WeapDef.dat in a text editor

Search for Laspistol

In this section change 4 to 3 under #animation

Change 2 to 0 under #number of sound effects for Firing

DELETE the two lines under it that give the file names for the sound files (something.wav)

Save the file, play the game - no cultist crashes.

Of course it will still have the occasional crash, so save often, especially before starting new missions it seems.

first of all: patch to version 1.2, will stop most of the drop out of game action.

i tried to run the game on almost any computer i got hold of in the past years and i think it all depends on the graphic card.

i had it running on my old 700mhz win2ksp2 comp for years, had basically the same components in another computer with win2ksp4 and it didn't even show the start screen.

two weeks ago i used my /gf computer, 1.6ghz with xp/home an it ran perfectly.

and what happend? now i am sitting here at 2:30am trying to get to run it on win2k / xp computers, installing my whole collection of old graphic cards one after antoher... just keep trying, some day you'll succeed<g>

Greetings all

i know this thread is kinda dead after all these years

but i wanted to make my contribution since i've been following it for the past couple of years in my own war to get chaos gate running on XP and i'd like to thank you all for your countless hours of frustration and lack of sleep in battleing with the same problems

at any rate heres the thing i got my self a new copy of the game about 2 days ago poped it in and it installed just fine - so far so good

i then tried booting it up and ofcause nothing work

but then i realized i had for gotten the patches

so hopped on the net but couldnt find v1.1 so figured i'd try with just v1.2 and guess what it actually ran! it was damn sweet to finally see the intro again after all these years

ofcause once i actually started playing i ran in to all kinds of bugs - obviously the cultists were one of them but changeing the WepDef AP for their guns seemed to fix that mostly (set it to 100 but some how they still seem to be able to use it on rare occations if they're really close and not doing anything else guess i'll try 200 or something instead)

but on top of that i seem to be having trouble everytime a flesh hound or pink horror (so far i've only made it to these) is suppose to be on screen and i suppect that bloodletters and potentially the bloodthirster might create the same problem - if anyone knows why or how to fix it please gimme a yell

at any rate a few things i've found worth takeing note of that noone seems to have mentioned so far

firstly im running the game on Windows XP Pro (DK Version) and somehow it'll actually run without compatibillity mode alltogether (have it switched on just in case though)

how ever i've noticed that i need to have ctfmon.exe running or the game will simply crash to desktop just before rendering any of the opening videos (ctfmon.exe is as far as i know something to do with advanced text formats or something to that effect its installed by default with MS word/office pack and the likes you can check if its running in the ctrl+alt+delete task maneger if its not then it'll usually starts up if you open anything to do with text like Internet Explorer if its installed)

also the drive i installed it on is formatted as FAT32 i dont know if this has any say but i suppect that it doesnt like to run on NTFS even with compatibillity modes - will have to look into this right now im just damn happy i can actually play the game even in a crippled state

also i noticed there was someone who had problems with editing maps to remove stuff might not have been here cant remember but in any case the maps arent loaded as you enter the mission area it self they're actually loaded around the time where you get the mission briefing this means that if you go out and edit a map you need to start up a save game from just after you finished the previous mission

since if you load one from after the mission briefing like savegames in combat or just after configurateing your squads the game will use the map saved in the savegame it self - so make a save each time you complite a mission just in case you feel like messing about with the next map

dont know if it has anything to do with anything but the copy of the game it self that i have is apparently a UK version - not sure if there are any other versions but it might be worth keeping an eye on

as for specs if anyone is interrasted in that im running a P4 3.06 Ghz / 1024DDR ram memory / Radeon X1650 series (512mb memory) / 1280x1024 32bit desktop res / DirectX 9 (a i think) / Win XP Pro (DK)

thats about all i can think of right now so if anyone actually bothered to read all this and the rest of this thread i really hope you get your game to work if you havent already

Cheers

-Uocky

Hi all,

Just wanted to record/report that I was able to get Chaos Gate running on Windows XP (SP3) on my Toshiba laptop, WITH NO TROUBLE WITH THE CULTISTS, using the following steps:

1. Enable Windows 95 compatibility mode for SETUP.EXE on the CD (right-click the file, Compatibility tab).

2. Install game using SETUP.EXE, making sure to install the game to the default directory (C:\Program Files\RandomGames\Chaos Gate).

3. Install 1.2 patch.

4. Move the C:\Program Files\RandomGames\Chaos Gate directory to C:\Chaos (or any other directory name that has 8 or less letters and no spaces).

5. Make sure that compatibility mode is NOT ENABLED for C:\Chaos\WH40K.exe.

6. Play the game!

Note: One might ask, why not simply install the game to C:\Chaos? I tried that, multiple times, but the Cultist bug always cropped up. The above steps was the only method that allowed me to play the game without running into the Cultist bug.

Chaos Gate On XP Guaruntee

Ladies and gentlemen, after spending hours trawling through the internet and 2 days tinkering i have come to the simplest and most effective fix for this game on XP.

THERE IS NO WAY TO GET THIS TO RUN WITHOUT CRASHING ON XP

Patches wont work, Changing the AP cost to fix the cultist bug will not work forever. Compatability modes are a waste of time and no version upgrades seem to work

With that established we can proceed to the fix.

It involves running win98SE through a virtual Pc and installing chaos gate onto that.

(sounds harder than it is)

Download Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 from the Microsoft website (its Free)and install.

Download Magic Disk, Deamon Tools or a similar program and install. Use this to create an ISO of your Chaos Gate disk or download an iso from pirate bay.

Locate a Windows 98 SE .iso on pirate bay and download the torrent

Or a Windows 98 Se .fdi boot disk image from Bootdisk.com

Install Win 98 SE onto your Virtual PC

Dump your chaos gate iso onto the cd icon in the bottom left corner of your Virtual Pc (VPC) and install wen the auto run screen pops up.

Before playing, right click the desktop on the VPC, go to settings and turn hardware acceleration to none.

This will allow your game to play albeit it wont be as fluid.

If you wish to transfer your saved games to your virtual machine and pick up where you left off,

Click Action in the top left of your VPC and click install Virtual Machine Additions

Afterward click Edit then Settings and go to sharing and share the hard disk that contains your saved games on your Physical computer. Assign this drive a letter Default (Z)it will then be accesible from the My Computer folder on your VPC. Transfer the saves across, load up your game and off you go.

If like me, you have little experience in this sort of thing then it should take about a day to set up.

This link should help to set up a virtual machine. i found it a very good step by step guide to VPCs.

http://www.goodells.net/virtualpc/index.htm#install98

Very best of luck to all you Retro gamers out there. i hope this has been helpful and informative.

• Like 1