Compatible Support Forums
Olga

Warhammer 40k Chaos Gate on XP - help?

ok, i think that it may be someting to do with the video cards that are involved, it may be worth changing the video card driver to standard super vga instead of using the correct manufacturers drivers. This may resolve the issue.

If possible could everyone list the video cards that they have and maybe we will spot a pattern in the hardware invloved.

Currently I have had the game working with the following video cards,

Nvidea Geforce 4 420MX PCI WINXP,640x480 16Bit colour

Intel onboard 82185 W2K PRO 800x600 16Bit colour

Quote:
If possible could everyone list the video cards that they have and maybe we will spot a pattern in the hardware invloved.

Works fine with my Radeon 9500 pro, latest Catalyst drivers and w2k.

Anyone who got this to work with Win2k (especially if you have a radeon card) please tell me exactly how you did it.

Cheers

With Windows 200 Professional I did not need to load it through the command prompt, I just installed and went through the start menu the video ran then when the menu was about to pop up it crashed back to the desktop, I checked the processes that were running and notice that there was a WOW process in the list. It this point I also noticed that the Chaos music was still running in the background and when I terminated the WOW process the music stopped. I then ran chaos through the start menu and then it did not crash after the intro screen.

As this is probably a video card compatibility problem you may want to try installing the generic svga video card driver as a test to see if the game will run, oviously this is not suitable for all of the other games you probably run so if it does work then I would suggest creating a new windows profile so that you do not have to mess around with changing the drivers when ever you want to play choas.

keep us posted as this may be the generic solution to the chaos gate problems everyone except me seem to be having.

sorry please delete this as I posted the same thing twice thinking that it did not post first time

Moderator please delete my last post and this one as I posted it twice as I did not see the second page tab for this thread.

Thanx

Uhm, other than installing new drivers and not being able to play other games, what solution could there be? I'm unwilling to actually change my entire graphics system to play one game. Thanks for helping though smile

I installed it by creating a shortcut to setup.exe and then ran it with compatibility mode for Win95. I don't know if you have to do that, but it worked. Then when installed, I did the same thing for WH40K.exe and it works like a charm.

Btw, you need the latest w2k Service Pack to enable the compatibility tab on the shortcuts.

When you say you "did the same thing for WH40k.exe" you mean you made a shortcut to the .exe in the "c:\chaos" directory and ran it in Win95 compatibility, right?

When I do that, I get the exact same error.

I cant even install the game, when i run H:/setup.exe it says that its not a valid win32 program (dont know if its correct im using danish windows), what should I do??

Originally posted by Twisp:

Quote:
When you say you "did the same thing for WH40k.exe" you mean you made a shortcut to the .exe in the "c:\chaos" directory and ran it in Win95 compatibility, right?

When I do that, I get the exact same error.

Yes, that's what I mean. Don't really know what do try then... Perhaps changing your windows resolution and colors (I use high color 16 bit and 1152x864)?

Originally posted by bugmenot:

Quote:
I cant even install the game, when i run H:/setup.exe it says that its not a valid win32 program (dont know if its correct im using danish windows), what should I do??

Create a shortcut to the setup.exe, place it on desktop (or something). Right click, choose compatibility tab, choose win95. Run setup.exe using this shortcut.

I got it to work and i have no problems running it. I actually contacted the Danish Ubisoft department and asked if we could get the source code, but it showed up that Ubisoft didn't got the rights for Chaos Gate when taking over SSI, to bad because i couldn't get any contacts, i think there is no hope for an unofficial patch... frown

To all Win2k users:

"hate2loses" sollution from page 1 works perfectly!

i got a radeon 8500 and win2k service pack 4

just register the "slayerui.dll" with your system and choose win95 compatibility and play! even the resolution and color depth seems to be no problem.

thanks to all helping hands! laugh

troll

Hello all - glad to see people are still interrested in playing old games - so am I.

I was going through an old box of games the other day and guess what I found - WH40K_Chaos gate smile

Cool, if I remember correctly this is a pretty good game worthy of being played again. well so far so good, I thought to myself - but I'm so frustrated right now that I'm about to drop the hammer.

Nothing I do seems to work. I can't even get the damn thing to install, bloody irritating.

First of all it won't install on XP (I'm running the pro ver. with all recent updates). If I make a shortcut to the setup.exe on my desktop and apply win_95 compatibility to the shortcut, it starts up a command promt window which disappears in a split sec.

That's all the fun i can can get out of that. well, then I remembered I used to play Chaos gate on my old PC with win 98 - so patitioned my HD to FAT32 installing win 98 and got all the drivers working.

I was eager to try out the new configuration only to have the setup.exe give me a error message "this is not a valid win32 program". Now since I can't use compatibility in win 98 I'm lost.

So now I simply don't know what to do. I really love this game and would like to play it again, so I'm desperately hoping that someone can help me

regards from denmark

Hey guys, I've been having the same problems with Chaos Gate ( the cultists lasers ) but I cant try Brok's solution because;

A) The lowest res my desktop will go to is 800x600 not 640x480

and

B) I am on XP Home so dont have GPEdit.msc

I've tried lookinig in Regedit.msc but with no luck yet.

Brok if you're out there ( or anyone who can help ) could you lot please suggest something.

Any help is greatly appreciated. thx

Eerr.. I managed to get my desktop res to 640x480 by going hell of a long way around but still have the other problem about not having GPEdit.msc

Hi everyone,

You're gonna hate me for this. But, I somehow managed to install it normally on my system running on Win XP Pro and even updated with the 1.2 patch. Then, I started playing and oddly enough, I DID NOT encounter any problems!!!

I even experimented with the Chaos cultist laspistol bug and it was fine. I'm now almost halfway through the campaign (again) and it's all good so far. So, I suspect the problem might be with newer systems and drivers. My PC is a Frankenstein monster of old parts and new. I still use a 32Mb GeForce 2 MX with DirectX 9.

smile

PS. Game setting is at 1024 x 768, same as desktop.

I believe I have a fix for the XP users. I found this fix from another software manufacturer that their program didn't work in XP either.

After you have installed the program, click on Start and then click on All Programs

Point to the program that was installed (DO NOT click on it yet)

RIGHT click on the program icon and select Properties

A window pops up with tabs at the top, click on the tab titled Compatibility

Under Compatibility Mode, check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" Make sure the drop down box below it says Windows 95

Under Display Settings, check the boxes that say "Run in 256 colors" and "Run in 640 X 480 screen resolution"

Click on Apply

Click on OK

This seems to work for Chaos gate. Hurray!

Of course, when the new Warhammer 40K game comes out, this will be a moot point to try and get this to work. I am just drooling over the screen shots!!!!!!

Now just curious, anyone have that other 40K game called Space Hulk? Ever get that to work on XP? And as I had everything stolen back in 97, I wonder if its even for sale anywhere?

Originally posted by REDE7:

Quote:
I believe I have a fix for the XP users. I found this fix from another software manufacturer that their program didn't work in XP either.

After you have installed the program, click on Start and then click on All Programs

Point to the program that was installed (DO NOT click on it yet)

RIGHT click on the program icon and select Properties

A window pops up with tabs at the top, click on the tab titled Compatibility

Under Compatibility Mode, check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" Make sure the drop down box below it says Windows 95

Under Display Settings, check the boxes that say "Run in 256 colors" and "Run in 640 X 480 screen resolution"

Click on Apply

Click on OK

This seems to work for Chaos gate. Hurray!

I've tried this on XP Home and it doesn't work for me (I have got the patches). On the first target of opportunity map (Industrial) the game crashes half way through the enemy turn, always at the same point (it's not cultists firing doing it, they haven't crashed the game through the entirity of the first two missions). I've used the compatability mode and that doesn't seem to do anything.

I'm running WinDoctor to see if that works (I had a similar problem with a game calld Heavy Gear 2 a while back that it would crash at the end of the fourth mission unless I ran WinDoctor before playing) but if it doesn't does anyone have any ideas?

BTW: It used to do something similar on my 98SP machine, when I clicked the End Turn button on the second mission it would exit the game (this was without the patches).

[EDIT] WinDoctor didn't help. [/EDIT]

[EDIT2] Disabling all the animation etc doesn't work either: the game refuses to save the settings. What's wrong?[/EDIT2]

[Edited by Tsalmaveth on 2004-08-23 08:23:58]

I tried Broks solution to the problem, but now I get an error reading: ReadInDefAssignments: Opening jungtil.asn

Can anyone help?

I've now tried Brok's solution (without the resolution setting: I can't get it down that far without compatibility mode) and that doesn't work either.

I have a new problem does any one know ho to use the senario editor i have truble makin the second floor to buildings....its startin to tick me off ;(

Ok, I found a quick fix for the cultist las-pistol bug in XP. however, you will lose some of the challenge in the game.

Go into the "Data" file in the chaos gate directory (you may want to back up this file first)

Open the "WeapDef" file using wordpad

Scroll down to the las-pistol values

Modify the amount of Ap it takes to use the pistol from 15 to 50

"Save as" and replace the old WeapDef file

The Chaos cultists should no longer be able to use their las-pistols, preventing the bug from occuring.

Hey anole328, I tried ur las pistol fix ( which sounds like it should work based on logic ) but now my whole game is messed up, none of my marines or the enemy can fire any weapons.

It might work with other versions but not mine...