Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mbres

QuickTime 6.5 Stutters in Windows Pro 2000

Quicktime 6.5 Stutters in Windows Pro 2000 on my motherboard S2603 Thunder.

I am creating and trying to play my animations rendered in Premiere 6.5 and After Effect 5.5.

These are exported and encoded to Jpeg A, AVI, and Animation

QuickTime files.

My drives are de fragmented and optimized. I am on a fast workstation, dual 1.7ghz processors, 2- 10,000 rpm 63 gig drives ( half full but optimized) and 1- 30 gig startup drive (optimized). 4 gigs of ram. I am running Windows Pro 2000 with Service pack 4 and all current windows updates. Vp 870 Video Display Card.

The problem is my animations, stutter, and hiccup, and don't smoothly most of the time. I have tried all of the settings Apple Tech support suggested with partial resolve. Sometimes it plays smoothly but most of the time it doesn't. I am also using a 3d Labs vp 870 video card.

The problem is consistent amongst video players I use such as Apple's Quicktime Player, Cyberlink Pro DVD and Windows Multimedia Player 9, (which is the current version I believe).

The problem is consistent amongst the three players,

The problem is:

If my animation plays smoothly on one, it will play smoothly on all of them. Same holds true, If one doesn't play the animation smoothly the other two player won't play it smoothe either.

I have checked for viruses, diagnosed my system, as far as I can see all seems to be clean.

I have researched forums, and Microsoft knowledge base.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this seems to be the only problem I am currently having on my system. I am tech savvy and built this workstation successfully running Maya, Premiere 6.5 and After Effects with no problems.

I Just can't play my animations smoothly. These files will play smoothly on a Mac or another Pc so I know this is definitly a system related issue with QuickTime.

Are there any settings I need to know about or adjust to fix this problem on the S2603 Thunder

My animations should be humming on this system.

Thanks for any help, and let me know if you need any additional information.

email is: michebre@optonline.net.

Michael Breskin

So I take it the two 10K drives are SCSI and can I assume at least U160/320 drives as well ?!?

The 30GB startup drive is what concerns me however.

When the stuttering/lag occurs do you notice if the HD busy light is really on a tear ?!?

My guess that this startup drive is not really optimized for your workstation in that it's most likely too slow and that the OS is not optimized to the paging file.

Here's what you should do to test this out. First resize the the paging file if it's on the 30GB drive to something small, I think the minimum size is 2MB! Set it for this and then create another paging file on your much faster SCSI drives for say something like 512MB for both the min/max size. Basically you have enough ram to not worry about paging but this doesn't stop Windows from using it anyway wink

Then I would d/l and run X-Setup which has a lot of nice optimization features for the OS and various other things too wink

The one you want to use most is the one that will tell the OS, in this case Win 2K Pro, that you want to force using all available RAM before paging! Windows by default goes the other way around!

If this fails then I would like to know what the specs were on the other PC or PC's that you've run these anims on successfully?!? I figured the MAC would be ok as it's probably optimized for this kind of playback already. But you mentioned it worked on another PC so if we can compare the specs to yours we maybe able to figure out the bottleneck in your system config smile

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation concerning my problem.

I would like to take your advice regarding the paging issue. I am not familiar with how to set that up. If you could point me to a link, I am very resurceful and can find out how to apply your specs.

Thanks for your time and trouble.

I greatly appreciate it and would love to implement what you suggested.

Thank you, jmmijo for your response and info.

My other two scsi drives are 63 gig drives, originally when I built this system it was maximized for Maya because that is my primary application. I was very new to what I was doing then so I didn't even know at that point that I was going to be involved with video, i.e. Premiere and After Effects.

Had I known then what I know now I would have configured this system differently.

My email is: michebre@optonline.net if you would like to make any further comments or your further post would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Sincerely, Michael Breskin

Since I can't remember the exact tab to set the paging file on, I'm running XP at home, I'll post the info when I get to work as all the workstations use Win 2K Pro there wink

This way you can adjust the paging file on your system, reboot and then test the anims again...

jmmijo thank you very much for your time and trouble.

sincerely,

Michael Breskin

Hi, jmmijo, did you get a chance to locate the paging tab.

Thanks,

MBres (Michael Breskin)

Damn, I forgot, sorry about that frown

Well the first step of course is it get the properties of My Computer so you can right mouse click on this desktop icon and then select the Properties option.

I'm thinking there is an advanced or performance tab or something like this, but I maybe thinking again of XP as Microsoft liked to move things around and/or relabel them wink

FOUND IT!!!

Well I should have looked at Microsoft's extensive Knowledge Base first. Here's the link on how to change the paging file under various OS's laugh

jmmijo_ thank you very much, I will be sure and test out your suggestions.

Best,

Michael Breskin

jmmijo- thank you. I will be sure and let you know the results as soon as I have tested out your suggestions regarding resetting the paging.

I went your link, which gave me explicit instructions as to how to reset the paging and I created a pdf to use as reference.

Also I downloded the other application you gave me the link for as well.

Thanks very much,

I will be in touch.

sincerely,

MBres (Michael Breskin)