Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NitRoX

hyper threading technology not compatible with windows2k?

hi all

i was just browsing through the intel website and i ran into something important, i recently ordered a p4 with hyper threading technology and intel had sumthing to say about that :

Microsoft Operating Systems

The following desktop operating systems include optimizations for Hyper-Threading Technology (HT Technology)† and are currently eligible to carry the new Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with HT Technology logo:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition*

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition*

The following desktop operating systems are not recommended for use with Hyper-Threading Technology. If you are using one of the following desktop operating systems, it is advised that you should disable Hyper-Threading Technology in the system BIOS Setup program:

Microsoft Windows 2000* (all versions)

Microsoft Windows NT 4.0*

Microsoft Windows Me*

Microsoft Windows 98*

Microsoft Windows 98 SE*

this blows cock, im getting my new comp soon w/ win2k installed and i havent used anything diffrent andi dont feel like i want to switch to xp unless this shit really does affect my cpu speed.

anyone with knowledge about the hyper threading compatibility with windows 2000 please reply, this is important

Thanks for your time.

lates

why would it suck - hyper threading came out long after win2k - maybe if they released a patch

it does work under 2k as far as i know.......

It works, just doesn't take full advantage of hyper-threading. That's M$ for ya. With *nix just load the latest kernel. With NT well....you know the drill. Buy the latest ver. smile

its up to Intel to supoort Windows 2000

with thier technology

Not Microsoft

The first Xeons were HT and only Window2000 existed

So Don't believe the hype

SHould work fine

HT does work with W2k. It does not work as elegantly as XP. The basic difference, as I understand it, is that XP can stop the processes of one thread when there is a competition for resources (especially in the internal cache) between the two threads being processed simultaneously. W2k just lets them continue to compete, which slows down both threads.