Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mabuhay

Inaccessible boot device on Win NT 4 Server install

I have to install Win NT 4 server on a Compaq Deskpro. We've put in a RAID 1 array with 2 SCSI hard drives, 73 GB each. When I run the NT 4 installation, it gets through the first install disk and crashes on the 2nd disk, with the error "inaccessible boot device". there's no viruses, I've created new install diskettes, even changed the floppy drive out, but no luck. The SCSI configuration shows the mirrored hard drives, but I just can't get it to complete the installation.

Any suggestions?

Another option depending upon the power of you PC is to do a software mirror. Undo the hardware based mirroring and make sure each drive shows up as a separate drive. Then install NT 4 onto the one drive (you'll still need a driver disk specifically for that SCSI card). Once NT is installed and updated go into administrative tools/Disk Management. From there you can setup a software mirror. I've used this many times and as long as the computer has enough juice you should be fine.

This is also an okay way of cloning drives in NT4 without purchasing Norton Ghost (or drive image etc).

Hope this helps.

That's correct.... I was having an argument with Duhmez stating that Win 2K pro had software RAID too... unfortunately I had to eat crow when I found out I was completely wrong....

dammit... lol