Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iks

Notebook related question: P4 vs. Centrino

Hello...

I am sorry I am asking this question here since it is not Windows related but I don't really know where to ask. I am buying a Notebook, so:

What is Intel Pentium-M Centrino?

Why are Centrino Pentiums working at much lower frequencies (1.4GHz and so on)?

And final: What is better: Intel Pentium-M Centrino 1400Mhz or Intel Pentium IV 2.800Mhz?

With 'better' I mostly mean 'faster'. smile

Thanks and have a good day all of you. smile

-Andrej

Faster is a relative term in that faster CPU clock speed doesn't always mean better wink

The Centrino brand name is a set of chips that work together to solve a specific need for mobile computing, the CPU, the Chipset and Wireless communications.

The reason the CPU runs at a slower speed is that it's a more effecient CPU so it gets more work done at a slower clock speed. It also runs much cooler and and hence uses far less power and so battery life is increased greatly.

I wouldn't neccessarly say that a P4-M running at 2.8GHz compared to a Centrino 1.4GHz is faster depending on the task. How fast can you type in formulas in Excel or how fast a typist are you really wink

Gaming on the other hand is quite different so every single cpu clock cycle is important and of course so it the graphics card being used laugh

If you are looking for a Desktop type performance then Centrino is not the best solution.

If you are looking for batter life, and integrated wireless then go with Centrino.

I have the Compaq x1015 and its a great laptop

Just to toss some fuel in there:

My friend has a dual Xeon 1.5MHz, with a GF4Ultra, and he says his 1.5GHz Centrino w/GF4 Go is faster in games. Not apples to apples, but possibly useful info.

He just moved up to a new P4/Rad9800P system though, so he ain't hurting for raw power.

-bZj

a Moblie 1.4 is = to a p4 2.4ghzCPU.

the moblie is based of the pIII since the p4 was really a bad designed chip and is too power hungry really foir laptops.

Thanks for your answers... Since I somehow need more power than battery I will buy 2.8Ghz P4 laptop... smile And ill also buy some wireless pcmcia because it is not built in... smile Now I somehow understand what Centrino is... smile cool.. smile

-Andrej

My 1.7GHz Centrino laptop spanks my 3.06GHz laptop in just about everything...they are identical otherwise, as far RAM, HDD speed etc.