Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
umikun

Any portable MP3 players usable with NT4?

Greetings all!

I'm considering buying a portable MP3 player. I have a Pentium II 400 MHz with NT4 SP6. My motherboard has two USB ports, but I don't know if I can get them working with NT4. I have a load of MP3s on my hard drive that I'd like to take with me on the go. Are there any MP3 players that use the regular serial ports instead of USB? Any info will be apprieciated.

Some vendors tried getting USB ports to show up as SCSI connections (such as Iomega with their Zip drives) but for the most part they are useless. One unit that comes to mind is the Rio Karma. This unit has an ethernet port on it which will let you "taxi" files back and forth using a Java-based version of Rio Music Manager. You can find out more at www.riovolution.com and checking out the forums.

The second option would be getting a free linux distribution. I guess all support usb :), there are some that can be run without an insatllation. Only a bootable cd is needed.

Quote:
The second option would be getting a free linux distribution. I guess all support usb :), there are some that can be run without an insatllation. Only a bootable cd is needed.

However many applications used with MP3 players only work in Windows, and most of those will not work properly within WINE or other similar methods.

Well the other solution would be to use either Win 98-SE or Win 2K Pro. Of course Microsoft has officially stopped support of Win 98-SE now but you can still get the updates from their website wink