Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cyberguru

Help using Win2k as a router

Hi,

For I needed to add another computer to my network, but my DSL router's ports were full so I decided to be clever and add another NIC to my Win2k server, connect it to the new PC with a cross over cable and set the server up as a router.

But after setting up routing on the server I cant get the new Pc to communicate at all. It wont get an IP from the DHCP server, it cant access the internet, cant see any other PCs on the network... nothing.

Because the Win2k server is the dhcp server do I need to set the second NIC up with a static IP? Do I need to set up any routes on the server?

Does anyone know where I can get a guide for doing this?

Thanks.. Mark

You will not be able to directly route between the dsl router and the 2K server because the router (probably) won't suport RIP and you won't be able to edit it's route tables so that's a double whammy there.

This is a job for internet connection sharing. You must set everything static for this.

If router is 192.168.0.1 then:

Change it to 10.0.0.1 and disable its DHCP server

On all clients attached to DSL router box set to 10.0.0.3, 10.0.0.4, 10.0.0.5, with DNS of 10.0.0.1 and default gateway of 10.0.0.1.

Set the server IP attached to the dsl box to 10.0.0.2, same gateway and dns as above.

Goto advanced TCPIP properties of the server network connection that is attached to the dsl router and enable internet conection sharing.

The server nic attached to the crossover cable at this point will get assigned an address of 192.168.0.1, that's a good thing.

This new machine will grab an address of 192.168.0.x from your windows 2000 server and have internet access. Feel free however to assign it an ip address of your choice, with DNS of 192.168.0.1 and gateway of 192.168.0.1.

This will work for having internet. If you want to browse fileshares you will orobably need to edit your hosts file, or just map right to IP. For example, on the new machine now \\10.0.0.3\mp3s would get you to an mp3 share on one of the other machines. Trying to connect by name will fail unless you edit hosts or make your own DNS server.

Anotehr downside: langames won't automatically show up for this new machine, you will need to enter ip directly. The new machine will be able to access resource pretty much flawlessly, but it will not be able to serve resources, such as sharing folder. it will only be able to pull from other shares and join the other games that are served.

Hope this helps.

My router is a Netgrar DG814 and has some routing options in the config, RIP Direction and RIP Version, but no way to edit the route tables. The Win2K server is also a DNS server, all PCs on the network look to it for DNS lookups.

I really need the PC attached with the crossover cable to be able to serve files (its an FTP server accessible on the internet plus it's the main PC with all the mp3s and apps on it).

Is it not possible just to make the Windows 2000 Server bridge the cards?

Or shall I just start again and put two NICs in my WinXP machine and bridge them?

If you run rip on the netgear and the 2k server, it should work. The 2000 box will need 2 static ip one for each nic, and the 2k box must also do the dhcp duties.

As fo gettnig rip working on 2k box, at the moment I'm not sure how to do it, I never have. Check knowledge base for configuring rip. If the netgear supports rip then i don't see a problem overall.

Most lan games still won't work though from this one pc. Most games broadcast locally and if not on the same segment then it won't show up and requires cd key authetication with master servers.

Im gonna struggle along with it for the moment because Im reading Windows 2000 Network Infrastructure Administration and they have a big section on RRAS so Ill see if that helps.

In the mean-time does anyone know of some thrid party software that will software-bridge the connection? I know Sygate has something but the bridging option is grey'd-out in the program I have cos its a trial.

Thanks for the help, its certainly given me a direction to look in.

Thanks

Mark

Maybe I'm oversimplifying this a little, but why don't you just get a cheap hub or switch and connect it to one of the ports on the dsl router?

Quote:
Maybe I'm oversimplifying this a little, but why don't you just get a cheap hub or switch and connect it to one of the ports on the dsl router?

That wouldn't be any fun! smile