Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pshelly

How can I disable the incoming message pop-up from my V92

Hi,

I've had this trouble since I got my new Gateway PC. It came with a GTW V92 voicemodem. I use a paid service called ICW (internet Call Waiting) from Bell South, and it lets me know who's calling, etc. It works fine. But every once in awhile I get an incoming message from my modem that on occasion knocks me off-line. When I had my older PC with just a V90 modem, I never got those incoming calls pop-ups. Gateway techs can't help me, that pop-up is extremely annoying, so does anyone know of how I can disable it? Gateway has sent me 3 new modems (same kind) and I still get the pop-ups.

thanks,

Peter

Quote:
Quote:
Hi,
I've had this trouble since I got my new Gateway PC. It came with a GTW V92 voicemodem. I use a paid service called ICW (internet Call Waiting) from Bell South, and it lets me know who's calling, etc. It works fine. But every once in awhile I get an incoming message from my modem that on occasion knocks me off-line. When I had my older PC with just a V90 modem, I never got those incoming calls pop-ups. Gateway techs can't help me, that pop-up is extremely annoying, so does anyone know of how I can disable it? Gateway has sent me 3 new modems (same kind) and I still get the pop-ups.
thanks,
Peter

What is the nature of the calls? If it is advertisers/telemarketers, you might want to look into one of those devices you hook up to your phone line that blocks those... they DO work!

smile

APK

They have no reason or rhyme...they just pop up and have 2 options...answer or ignore, but neither functions work....if you touch the pop-up anywhere at all...you get disconnected from the net. That's why they are so frustrating. If I ignore the pop-up....it's a 50-50 chance of being disconnected.

Actually this kind of sounds like you may have some spyware installed wink

Have you run AdAware PE on your machine yet?

If not, I would do so. You can d/l it from www.downloads.com

Quote:

Actually, I run Spybot S&D dailly on my PC, but the pop-ups are still there. If you look up that incoming message thing, you can find it on www.google.com but there is no way that I can see to diable it.
Peter

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, I run Spybot S&D dailly on my PC, but the pop-ups are still there. If you look up that incoming message thing, you can find it on www.google.com but there is no way that I can see to diable it.
Peter

Well, another idea:

Try stopping the Messenger service, see if that causes it!

(I doubt it, but you hear alot about that being the culprit with popup messages etc. (but, it would not have anything to do I imagine with incoming call type messages on a dialup)).

smile

* I guess the bottom line to experiment w/ is this: Try disable it, or just stopping it for this bootup session, see if those come up anymore!

APK

I've disabled messenger service quite some time ago....thanks for the suggestion. I think I might just get Gateway to send me a V90 modem, as I never had trouble with one of those before

Then the only other possibility is the modem device drivers. Perhaps if you go into Device Manager and check out the modem properties and check there for any message check box or something like this.

Also, do you have any special Gateway modem software installed ?!? Perhaps some kind of OEM app that comes with the machine that is actually displaying this message.

Quote:
Then the only other possibility is the modem device drivers. Perhaps if you go into Device Manager and check out the modem properties and check there for any message check box or something like this.

Also, do you have any special Gateway modem software installed ?!? Perhaps some kind of OEM app that comes with the machine that is actually displaying this message.

I've checked the device manager and didn't find any kind of adjustment and yes, it is a gateway modem, but I've had their techs check it and they can't find a way to disable the incoming message box.

So is there any kind of modem app or suite or control panel that you can locate ?!?!?

Perhaps something that says Fax/Modem Suite or even some kind of Voice/Modem/Fax office kind of app ?!?

Also if you open Task Manager, do you see any kind of Application and/or process you don't recognize ?!?

Quote:
So is there any kind of modem app or suite or control panel that you can locate ?!?!?

Perhaps something that says Fax/Modem Suite or even some kind of Voice/Modem/Fax office kind of app ?!?

Also if you open Task Manager, do you see any kind of Application and/or process you don't recognize ?!?

There is no app for the modem that I can find and I don't have any phone/fax program installed. I just looked into the task manager and sorry...I really don't know what I'm looking for...that would be related to my modem
Peter