Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
helenwest

installed XP pro, having random media freezes

I recently had to re-install windows and format my C drive. I had been using XP pro before, and had the same problem when I installed it then, but lost the link for the fix when i formatted.

This is what happens. I can open up audio files fine - winamp, divx player, my games all start out as normal. After between 3 seconds and 3 hours, the sound freezes and only comes back after I reboot. In games, it's visually fine; in videos the picture freezes too.

Last time all it took was a little download (maybe a codec?) and then everything was fine. I was told it was a problem because I'm using an Athlon motherboard on XP pro.

Can anyone help? I've googled til I can't google anymore and I'm about to resort to a swift kick.

Thanks!

Helen frown

What kind of sound system or sound card do you have?

If you are using on-board sound from the motherboard, like the Realtek ALC series chips, make sure you have the latest drivers. Also make sure your chipset drivers are up to date as well.

If you are using a Sound Blaster, make sure the latest drivers are installed.

If you continue to have problems, hit START, then RUN, type DXDIAG, then inside there, hit the SOUND tab, then where it says hardware acceleration move it down one notch to STANDARD ACCELERATION or BASIC ACCELERATION.

Hope it works out.

I'm using an Aureal Vortex 2 sound card and I got new drivers for it last night, but no joy. I'm pretty sure it's some kind of conflict with Win XP pro, as I've only been having this problem since I installed that.

Also, I know the hardware acceleration isn't a cause because I remember having to download something last time this happened.

This time I'll store the fix somewhere OTHER than on my computer!

Helen

That sound card might be finnicky to work with, mainly because Aureal is out of business and the Vortex line is pretty much dead. I think its been a few years, might wanna considering getting a better or newer sound system. The fix you downloaded was probably from a third-party support, try searching the message boards at 3DSoundsurge.com. Maybe you will come across it again.