Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
QunMang

Should I be worried?

I just got a new USB game pad (Saitek P2500) and when it is plugged in my computer doesn't turn off after a shut down. Instead, it gets to the point where it would turn off and instead does a partial reset. What I mean is that XP will finish shutting down, but instead of turning off or restarting, the computer just sort of goes through a reset and then sits there- no POST, no anything. Hitting the reset button does not work at that point either- only turning the computer off manually works.

This shut down issue seems to be hardware, not OS, related, as like I said the issue happens after XP shuts down, and Win 98 as well which I also tested (same computer, two OS partitions). I don't know if this is typical for some USB devices being plugged in (USB printer causes no such problem), if the controller is damaged, or if the controller is damaging my system. Perhaps power consumption is an issue and I need a USB hub. Ideas, anyone? The mobo is an IWill KK266+, and the USB (not USB2) ports are the ones attached to the board, not on a separate card. Thanks.

I had a similar problem with a USB printer. Whenever I would print a document then go to shut down the PC it would hang up at the "saving your settings" bootdown screen. Seems the OS was waiting for the device to terminate and would hang in limbo until it did. Seems windows was trying to terminate the printer, but since it wasnt getting a response it would just wait. I finally updated the USB controller with the 4 in 1 drivers from VIA and my printer drivers and the problem was fixed. Hope this helps.

Well, as I stated the OS (both XP and 98) seems to shut down alright, but the computer refuses to turn off. The screen goes black and the power light on the monitor shows it going into standby mode, just as if the computer was going to turn off or reset, but it does neither. I'm just worried that having this game pad plugged in is damaging something since it is causing a problem like this (I unplugged the pad before shutting down once and the computer turned off as it was supposed to).

Yes you should be worried.

Take back the device, it has issues with it, get a new one while you still can, there is something wrong with it and it might be damaging your system.

Okay, I exchanged it for a newer version of the controller (the old one was in a 2002 box, this one is in a 2003 plastic mold). This one even lights up (yippee...) Anyway, I won't know until I shut down if this controller is any different.

Edit: Well, this controller does the same thing. Must be my computer then. Not enough power to USB? Bad regulation? In any event, the controller works fine, just like the last one, so whatever the problem is it can't be too serious. Just enough to disrupt powering down the computer. Next step is to contact Saitek, but we all know how how much help manufacturers tend to be...